04 August, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation

Totally worth using a week of vacation time. We got moved into our new house and I am just thrilled to pieces. It was hard, hard work though. Saturday we moved a few things into the garage, since we didn't officially take possession until Monday evening. Monday, with the "help" of my in-laws I finished packing up the DH's house and that evening we took a preliminary load over. Tuesday morning he was off to work and I was off to meet the movers at the storage facility. Of course, it was raining but not too hard, thankfully. We thought they'd be able to get some stuff into their truck after loading all my stuff, but it was full so I took them over to the new place to unload. My sweet M-I-L just wants to help but her idea of help was to start unpacking my kitchen for me! Un ... no thank you, I want to do that myself. She just wouldn't sit there and read so I had her putting pictures into a photo album while she waited for the delivery people, but once boxes were there to unpack I couldn't keep her out of them. I set her to unpacking glassware and washing it while I supervised the unloading of the first bunch of my things from my old house. The only glitch we had in the whole day was that the big sectional wouldn't fit through the doorway in the upstairs theatre. However, with the expertise of my F-I-L they managed it -- he took the door and the door jamb off. I was hiding in the bedroom. But at the end of 8 hours I had the house together enough so S could come home and sleep in a new bed, have his clothes and bathroom stuff and have coffee in the morning.

The rest of the week is just a blur. Each day was long and arduous. I am covered in bruises from lugging boxes around and bumping them into myself. I just knew that I had to keep at it because I never have the energy to do much around the house after work except the normal chores. In other words, I'm not likely to spend 4 hours after work unloading boxes. Not a chance. There are a few boxes left to unload, plus all of the books because the theatre is the last room to be done and I can't put the books away until the TV and surround speakers are all in place. That is going to be an awesome experience though! S got the TV hooked up Saturday -- cable came on Saturday. I didn't even miss TV during the week because I was so exhausted at the end of the day I would read a bit and then conk out. S got the downstairs TV hooked up Thursday, I think, and we watched a DVD. That was a treat but we were so tired we couldn't even finish it! And speaking of tired, I haven't even tried out the whirlpool bathtub yet!

All week I was just itching to knit but it was too chaotic to get anything out. Things slowed a bit towards the end of the week and on Friday I gave myself an early birthday gift of a trip to the Olympus Spa and a body scrub and facial. Oh baby! That was sooooo nice! By Sunday afternoon I was putting away the last kitchen box. I still had a few things on my list to do -- wash the dog, work in the garden and do my nails and cook dinner. But as I was going through my list in the morning with my DH he pointed out that my list was just too long and I had to give myself a break. Right. There I was at 2 o'clock and the last box was emptied. I made a deal with myself - one hour in the garden and then I could sit down and watch the NFL Network and knit. And one hour later I was inside and opening my new umbrella swift. I finally got to use the ball winder I bought months ago. I was in heaven!! Winding balls of Noro Silk Mountain and watching football. *sigh*

I started a new project - the Trellis Shawl from Runway Knits. The trellis pattern is a four row repeat and it's pretty simple. The Silk Mountain is perfect for this pattern. Not my usual thing but a nice break.

And now I'm back to work -- August is a big, busy month for me. The weather is gorgeous and my bike ride in -- super easy! I think if I had gone from my old house and the dinky 3 mile each way commute to this one I would be complaining. But after doing the 15 miles each way, this is a cake walk! I can start running again!!

No comments: