09 November, 2012

They say it was squirrels

A large part of my job is creating and delivering classroom web content to the medical and dental students for the classes taught out of my department.  A few years ago we were forced to change our delivery from individual (and in my case awesome) departmental web sites to a system run from upper campus so that all of the websites could look the same (which is ugly) and therefore the students wouldn't be tasked with figuring out the layout of each class' site.  Like that's so hard ... but I digress.  The histology class, which is currently running, uses not only the site to deliver content like lecture slides and syllabus chapters, but I have also built a virtual microscope for them to use rather than traditional microscopes and all of those links are on their web site.  Yesterday was the second time in 3 weeks that the system has failed during the class.  I was able to email a document to the students so they could do their virtual lab but I'm going to gone for four classes during my vacation.  If we can't count on the system they forced us to use .... it just makes me crazy!  I think I'm going to have to build a back up site to run on our servers in case the system goes down while I'm gone.  Oh ... and the word from the IT group is that squirrels gnawed through some lines.  Really?  Squirrels?

I did not have a terrific night, but for good reasons.  I was tired after getting home and doing all my little chores, plus making banana bread.  The bad thing about eating bananas for breakfast every  morning is that I have to buy 5 on the weekend.  But this weekend I was at Costco and nothing is small there so I ended up with some very ripe bananas so voila! banana bread for the office this morning.  It's good.  So anyway I didn't even pick up any knitting but instead headed in to bed to read.  My eyes wouldn't stay open finally so I dozed off only to be woken up by some noise from downstairs (ooo, I am not going to miss those people) and then I was wide awake, my mind going a mile a minute trying to figure out how I'm going to arrange my new place, and getting excited about my trip, and thinking about my race on the 18th ... around and around and around.  I am very glad it's Friday.

And did I say cold?  Brrrr ... In my bedroom this morning the heat came on!  So it must have been very cold for that to kick on.  It is currently only 2 degrees above freezing!  This is a little colder than normal for this time of the year, but at least it's clear.  I had a nice run yesterday in the beautiful sunshine, although I was a bit chest-y ... a teensie bit of asthma when I stopped.  Still I had a good time.  I am going to extend my run to 35 minutes or 5k today, which ever comes first.  I got my new shoes yesterday!

I am going to have to give my notice today and I haven't gotten final final confirmation yet from my new place.  That's first on my list today - to call them.  Oooo , I'm excited!!

No comments: