04 December, 2006

Let's try something different

Here's the deal -- I'm going to try to fool the gods of love. Oh sure ... yeah, sounds crazy, I know. But what the heck - what have I got to lose? Instead of concentrating on how much I hate not having a boyfriend and how much I hate living alone, I'm going to make an effort to find the positive in the situation. A much more difficult task, believe me. And while I've never been a man basher, even at the worst of times, I'm also going to celebrate all the wonderful things about men. Just a little reverse psychology (kind of) with fate. It seems to me that when one is happiest with one's situation that's when things change.

So here's what I found most satisfying about living alone this weekend.
  1. No sharing the Sunday paper. The New York Times crossword is all mine and nobody is over my shoulder trying to "help".
  2. No waiting for the bathroom. Ever.
  3. While housecleaning never goes away, at least the mess I'm cleaning up is only mine.
  4. WIPs are decorative and I don't have to explain it to anyone.
  5. Peace and quiet.
And here's what I appreciate about men, in general. They can fix things! Some of the most wonderful words to come out of a man's mouth are "I know how to fix that!", followed by the even more popular "Where are your tools?." I think it's going to be easier to list wonderful things about men than what's good about living alone, but I'll work on it.

And speaking about working on it -- our departmental party is coming up soon and I've not finished the fingerless mitts yet! I was going to make them out of recycled cashmere but quite frankly it looks terrible! I got one done, except for the thumb, and realized that the kinky recycled cashmere, while admittedly a deluxe fiber, looks like crap! Even after it's washed it still doesn't look as good as some new and cheaper yarn. So I started over last night with some pink fuzzy stuff from my stash. I think they'll look a lot better and nobody is going to care that they're not cashmere.

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Shelley...I think that is an excellent list. I like #3, #4 and always, #5.

Hey, hey...I got my bike. Though not a mountain bike, I have 24-freakin' speeds. I've used two so far. LOL

I will work my way up to being able to go the distance, then I'll give you a shout, come up for a leisurely bike ride around your place. Ok...that may take me a good six months to get up to snuff...but I'll get there.

Whew...9 more working days till Winter break. Hope you are doing well and ready for the holidays.

Thank you, once again, for the goodies. I have to say...I tried to be patient...I tried not to open the beautifully wrapped box of chocolates from Paris. Ok...I lasted about two days and wham! It was heaven...dipped in chocolate...wrapped in a gold box. Nummy!