05 September, 2006

Can I have a hallelujah!

Oh joy and rapture, I finally found a heel for the toe-up sock knit on two circular needles that I llllllove!! It's not too tricky - you just have to use a third needle to pick up gusset stitches one time. I think it looks much better than the short row heel. I am doing a modified Crusoe and I realized that I should have made a little two stitch border before beginning and ending the pattern on needle one because when I started the gusset and turned the heel you could see where the stranding stretches and doesn't look good. Oh well, live and learn. I don't think I've knit a perfect pair of socks since my first one because I keep experimenting. Oh but this is it, I think. When my camera is back home I'll take some good pictures.

So that's pretty much what I did with my day and evening yesterday - got way into knitting that sock. I did also manage to try on my Green Gable and it's just a perfect fit. I need to do another few rows - an inch or so - but I might be able to wear it this week. AND I swatched for my Ogee Tunic and found that the size four needle and the Elann Devon weren't making gauge. I changed up to a size 7(!) and that worked out perfectly, stitches and rows! yay! I was not looking forward to working with size 4 needles. Sevens feel so much better in my hands. I was looking closely at the pattern chart. Yuk, I hate reading charts! I do much better when the rows are written out so I'm considering doing it for myself. It's such a long and complicated chart. It's hard to decipher the symbols for all of the different cables and twisted stitches.

Anatomy started today and I realize it's nearly 12:30 and I haven't stopped for a second all morning. Zoom! That's the way to make the day go by, huh? Hope the afternoon does as well.

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Horray for days that the clock isn't looming over us, eh? I was finally able to take lunch at 1pm, maybe a half row on my Fair Isle...but peace and quiet was indeed needed.

Happy sock knitting.