19 November, 2007

What a fabulous weekend!

I mean it! BOTH my football teams won -- and both beat Bears! How crazy is that? The Seahawks game was so incredibly exciting! I had a bazillion chores to do yesterday so I had set it to record and then started watching it about an hour in, so that way I could skip the commercials. Just a great great game!

I have another whole great huge rant about musicians and I was going to just rant away, from the top. But you know what? It's hardly worth it. I'll just give a quick sketch and skip the in depth rant. Suffice it to say (reiterate is more like it) that in general, musicians are jerks. Here it is in a few words - despite rehearsing Sunday the 11th AND Friday night before the gig, the offending members managed to mess up every single one of my songs. At one point one of the guys had me singing the song into his ear right before it was counted off because he couldn't remember it!!! The leader was absolutely LIVID, and came to me at the beginning of the 3rd set on his knees and apologized and said that it was the last time and we were going to fix it (in other words somebody is getting fired for sure!) before the next job. I mean ..... it was just so infuriating! What a colossal waste of time. Why rehearse if you're not going to take the time to learn the freaking song?? Well ... see, I didn't want to get going on a rant. It's going to be fixed. In fact, we have a new guitar player all lined up and he's an old friend of mine and he's totally awesome so it's now just a matter of taking the time to rehearse. The good thing about him is that I know he'll take the tapes and learn the songs BEFORE rehearsal and he won't forget them either. Other than that -- it was such a fun night Saturday. The bar was packed, and lots of my friends came to see me "come out of retirement" and the mistakes weren't that obvious if you didn't know what to listen for. I got to wear a killer outfit ... it was just too much fun! The leader and the other singer and I sat around afterwards, having our post gig drink, and chatting and then we were hungry ... well, I didn't get to bed until 4 am, just like the good old days. But I was much younger then. It was pretty hard to get started yesterday.

So - knitting now. Last Wednesday I needed some easy therapy knitting. Do you ever come home and say "I need to knit"!"? That's what I did Wednesday. I had had a trying day and I just felt like I needed to sit and have the wool and needles in my hands and I didn't relax until I did. But I didn't want to work on the complicated lace scarf so I pulled out some Kureyon and started the basketweave scarf. Kureyon is so hypnotic. I just keep going, waiting for the next color. I'm using size 8 needles so it's slow going but it's going to be a super warm scarf. I was thinking about making a hat to match but it' s going to depend on how long the scarf gets at the end of two skeins. I have 4 skeins - two of each colorway. Maybe at the end of the two skeins if it's not long enough I can make the matching hat and then use the rest of the yarn for the scarf. Well, I don't have to decide now. Hopefully tonight I can resist picking it up and instead sew my Scoop de Jour together. Bets?

No comments: