22 February, 2006

A finished Blue Raglan

Have I mentioned before how pleased I am with the way this sweater turned out? Besides choosing the right yarn (Elann's Peruvian Highland Chunky) I had enough experience to do everything right. In other words, this is the culmination of learning from my mistakes! I was able to try it on the person it is meant for and so the body length and sleeve length are just right. I finally remembered to bind off loosely so the ribbed cuffs and waist are stretchy like they're supposed to be. You can see the little strings - I do have those cuff, waist, neck and armpit ends to weave in, but I felted all of the other ends as I was going along so instead of 27 ends to weave in I have 7. The pattern I used for this particular sweater is from Knitting Pure and Simple but it's just a top down raglan and it's exactly the same as The Incredible, Custom-fit Raglan. And using that I cast on for a v-necked raglan for myself using the new handpainted yarn in colorway lettuce violet. Here's a picture of where I am so far. Unfortunately, even though I took this picture with my camera and not my phone, the light was not good and the colors don't really show up very well. It's really gorgeous yarn. You can see I've got the v-neck done and the sleeves on holders and I'm working on the body - I have got about six inches done. I just might have enough yarn to do the whole thing without having to resort to using a plain lettuce to give the sleeves more length. I do think I'll have to use it for rubbing around the neck and waist - I'd like to make bell sleeves. But we'll just have to see. I'm not very good at estimating how much yarn I'm going to need. This far I've used 3 and 3/4 skeins out of 10. 65 yards to a skein.

No comments: