27 February, 2006

What a great weekend!


It was one of those weekends when I seemed to have all the time in the world. I not only got lots of work done on my v-neck sweater, but also read a book and gave a small dinner party Saturday night! Here's how the sleeve turned out. I used the "to dye for" sleeve for inspiration and made my increases every 4 rows rather than 8 and it turned out just what I wanted! I wish I had a different color of mohair. I ended up mixing the one that I bought in Paris with a navy that I had sitting around. The result is almost a denim color, which makes it very casual. That's fine though because it is rather an oversized sweater and wouldn't lend itself to anything but jeans. As you can see I also got the waist done and, as you can't see, I have picked up stitches around the neck so that it's not quite so revealing. Three more rows to go on the neck and then one more sleeve and I'm done. It will have only used 7 skeins of the 10 I purchased. Since I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough I bought four more skeins of plain green. That means that I'll have enough yarn to make this again. But I think what I'll do is make it smaller, and make it a one-piece cardigan. If I stripe it with the colorway ... well, it could look cute. The thing about chunky knits though - they are not that flattering if you're looking for a body skimming fabric. So I think it's best to knit oversized garments with chunky yarn.

I started the latest Martha Grimes book "The Old Wineshades" Friday evening and got caught up in it, read more after my guests left Saturday night and finished it up Sunday night. I was a bit disappointed with this book though. There seemed to be gaping holes in the plot and the ending was very unsatisfactory. Usually I love her stuff. Sarah Dunant has a new book out as well that was reviewed this Sunday in the Times. I think I'll get it since I enjoyed her last one (The Birth of Venus) so much.

I was in the mood for comfort food and garlic. I had just a small dinner Saturday and made a turkey meat loaf as the main dish. I know .. it sounds weird, but I've got this great recipe that even my Dad likes and if I told him it was turkey and not ground beef he wouldn't eat it. So if Dad likes it, well it's got to be good!! Garlic mashed potatoes, garlic bread and the last bottle of Oregon red - a 2003 pinot that was really really nice. I only have two bottles left of the wine I got last June down there. I should go again - it's such a fun time! I bought 3 bottles of wine back from France and one of them, a Cremont, I used for Kir Royale. Unfortunately, it had lost it's fizz! It still tasted good but I was disappointed in that and I am wondering if the champagne I also brought back also lost it's fizz. I didn't carry it in the plane with me but wrapped it up in my suitcase. Do you think the lack of pressure killed it??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved The Birth of Venus- I read it over Christmas and really enjoyed it! You'll have to tell me what you think of the new Dunant. Do you ever read Margaret George?

I'm putting together a package of treats for you. I'm going on vacation tomorrow for 10 days, and I will probably pick up a few more goodies for you while I am on the road. I'll ship it when I get back home. I hope you will like it!

Secret Pal...