24 February, 2006

Just when I got to thinking we were having an early Spring ....

it got cold last night and the rain turned to snow. It was so cold this morning when I got up and I opened to the door to let Tinkerbell out and then saw why I was so cold. The roads were treacherous. Normally in this situation I would just walk to work rather than ride my bike or drive, but since I am still healing I didn't think it would be prudent to walk 6 miles, so I drove. Slowly, carefully. Watching people slipping and sliding their way across the streets and down the sidewalks. It is supposed to get warmer today - it has crept up to freezing now -- and the ice should melt. I sure hope it does, because I have promised Dad I'd come over and cook him dinner and I'm not going to be too keen on that idea if it freezes up again.

I got some good work done on my sweater last night. Probably one more good evening and I should have the body done. I've got exactly half of the yarn left. I have nearly a full ball that I'm knitting from that I expect will finish the body so it looks like I'll be good for the sleeves. I am going to use my sweater making software to design the sleeves. I haven't really used the newer version much but now that it has working in the round versions I can plug in all of the variables and have a pattern designed but just use the sleeves, since I've already calculated the body. Oddly, this software doesn't have the capacity to do top-down v-necks or cardigans, which is just plain silly. It's an easy calculation. If you want the software to help you design one of those you have to do it bottom up and then make the sleeves separately and then hook them all together and knit up the rest of it. I don't like doing it that way. I like doing the sleeves on the sweater. It's easier to make adjustments that way.

My hostess for this Secret Pal, along with Nonnahs, has really gotten me all fired up to do socks. I want to use that recycled cashmere I have just sitting around but first I want to straighten it out. That means I'm going to have to make skeins and then re-wind it. It's going to be labor intensive but the cashmere is so much nicer straight and with a little bloom.

No comments: