07 December, 2009

The big chill

Good lord -- the outdoor temperature at my house this morning was 18 degrees! According to the weather folks there is cold air from the north trapped and that's what's causing this deep freeze. Whatever the reason it is just plain too cold for me to ride, no matter that it's nice and sunny and dry. The wind chill going from my house down to the lake is brutal, even with a mask. No thank you. I learned my lesson last year. I do not like arriving at work in tears from pain. Oh ... well I don't like arriving at work in tears from anything ... of course not.

It was a pretty average weekend. Mr. M was busy and out of my hair, so I had plenty of time to work on Christmas gifts, watch silly TV and rehearse. I am amassing quite a pile of as yet unassigned gifts. As of last night I have 4 neck warmer hats, 2 tassel hats, and two scarves. The cashmere mitts, finished on Friday night, are going to be for my sister. I've also decided to make a cowl to match the mitts in a slightly bigger needle size. I'll do the 4x1 ribs around using maybe a size 8 needle and when it's done I'll crochet the picot edging on top and bottom. I guess that means I should also put in a few cable rows so they'll echo more closely the pattern of the Fetching mitts.

I bought some lights for the little Nobel fir in the front garden and put them on yesterday afternoon. Blue. They look nice. Mr. M still has to put up the lights on the eaves but he's pretty busy this week so it'll most likely have to wait until next week. I guess that's when we'll get the tree as well since I'm leaving on the 18th to go down to visit my sister for a few days. I want to have all the decorating done before I leave so I don't come home to some hideous decorating scheme Mr. M might dream up.

Looking forward to a nice run this afternoon. My cough is almost all gone. At rehearsal on Saturday I got a little hoarse after a couple hours, but no real coughing fits. Fingers crossed I am cured!!

No comments: