03 November, 2009

Look at my widget!

I sent out a big mailing yesterday to my Facebook friends and others on my email contacts list. I had to get serious about fund raising since we are less than a month away from the race. And last night two people made donations! I am SO grateful to them for getting the ball rolling and for supporting me. I am going to copy the letter I sent out yesterday here onto my blog because I know there are some of you out there reading this who aren't on my email list nor friends on Facebook. I would be very thankful if you could sponsor me in this endeavor. Today I'm just doing a 30 minute training run and it is going to be a cakewalk compared to last Sunday. Plus which it's another gorgeous fall day.

Now another cup of tea and back to work!
------------------------------------------------------------
Dear everybody,

I am writing today to ask for your support. On Sunday, November 29, I am participating in the Gilda's Club 1/2 Marathon Fundraiser, a run to support people touched by cancer. I’ve been running 5K races for a few years but I have never before challenged myself to run a half marathon and let me tell you, it has been a challenge! I have been training with a group since August, running on my own 3 days a week and meeting up on Sundays for a big run. Yesterday I ran 10 miles, so I am confident now that I can finish the half marathon. I won’t be setting any speed records, but I expect to finish it in 3 hours, depending upon how many hills are in the course.

This is my way to honor the memory of my mother and my sister Rebecca (whom some of you may remember) who were both taken from us at an early age from cancer, and to do something positive by supporting Gilda’s Club. One out of every three women and one out of every two men will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime. When that happens, it is devastating and confusing. People living with cancer, their family members and friends need a community to which they can turn, an environment where they can both give and get support and understanding. That’s what Gilda’s Club offers. Its mission is to provide a place where everyone touched by cancer can join with others to build social, emotional and educational support. All programs and services at Gilda’s Club are FREE of charge. It is open six days a week and offers support and networking groups, lectures, workshops and social events in a nonresidential home-like setting.

I would be so very grateful if you could donate to support my fundraising efforts for this wonderful organization. I have set up an account on my Facebook homepage where you can click and donate easily and securely. Or you can go directly to Gilda’s Club page (http://www.gildasclubseattle.org/) and scroll down to the link “Support an Athlete”, search for my name and donate from there.

I thank you very very much!

Shelley (Nopp) Golard Midkiff

No comments: