23 November, 2009

No whinging -- just the facts

Okay - here's how it went down. On Sunday the 18th I did the Cougar Mountain 8 mile run. It was tough but I just figured it was because the trail was hilly and full of roots and slippery. But the following Tuesday I had the flu and was sick for the entire week and therefore skipped the October 25 9.5 mile run. On November 1st I did the 10 mile run from Madison Park to REI and back, also a very difficult run but I felt okay until the 3rd when I woke up with a bad cold, so I skipped the 12.5 mile run on the 8th because I was coughing, etc. I was still in the running, so to speak and so on the 15th of November I did 5 miles even though I hadn't run but one day during the week and I still had the cold. Bad idea my friends because it made my cough MUCH worse so that last Monday, the 16th, I went to see my doctor. I have an infection in my lungs. Nice. He told me not to run and gave me some antibiotics and an inhaler. Actually I wasn't buying it and told him it was a fund raiser. I think he was just being nice telling me that okay, I could run*if* I would agree not to ride my bike to work and only run at the gym until the race. I couldn't get myself to the gym or do anything last week. I got worse before I started feeling better and today I am still coughing and not 100%.

I am profoundly disappointed still, one week later. I have been training since August for this race! And the people who donated ..... again, thank you all. At least it's for a good cause and all that but I feel like I'm letting people down. I know that I just have to let my body heal and I can run again soon. It was just something that I never thought I'd be able to do, and then to get to the point where I could actually run 10 miles without falling over and not be able to do the race ..... it's just so annoying! Probably I'll be glad. Most likely it'll be raining or sleeting and very cold on race day and I'll be glad to be out of it. But for now, not so much. And that's the end of that.

I had an entire weekend with no obligations. The first one in a long time. I did some of my Saturday errands on the way home from work on Friday so that I could spend Saturday morning finishing up Kelli's coat and get it in the mail. Which I did. I took pictures but I forgot to bring my camera. I'll post them tomorrow. Saturday evening was a little party for Mr. M's eldest daughter. Because I've been sick we took the party to her house. I had baked a cake and some cup cakes in the morning and we got pizza. I hadn't eaten all day so I ate pizza with abandon.

And yesterday I tried to keep my mind off running. I bought myself a new toy -- a beautiful new carpet cleaner. Our carpet is beige and I can't keep up with the spots. It's really making me crazy, so now I've got a lovely new machine and this long weekend I can do a room or two a day. (I think I'm cracking. A carpet cleaner - the bright spot of my weekend. *sigh*)

We only have to work 3 days this week and then I'm taking next Monday off so I'll have a 5 day weekend. I worked a bit on the Frost Flowers Stole yesterday afternoon for the first time in a few weeks. Maybe for the long weekend I can get it finished - or near.

No comments: