08 January, 2014

In praise of the humble garter stitch

I've never been a big fan of the garter stitch.  Until now.  I have always considered it useful, but not particularly attractive.  I am working on size 3 needles doing the Color Affection pattern, which is worked entirely in garter stitch.  The resulting fabric is actually very nice!  My previous work with this stitch had been with larger needles, resulting in a stretchy fabric and with a very amateurish look.  Not so with the smaller needles and the sock yarn I got from my last YarnBox.  This is going to be HUGE - nearly 8 feet across.  I think it's going to be one of my favorites.

Last night I did get to do a couple of rows on my Color Affection.  Also I managed to fit in some reading - I couldn't help myself and started my new book.  AND a few minutes of playing with The Room 2 on my iPad.  Chores?  What chores?  It was such a nice evening I might just do it again tonight, although I may toss in a load of laundry too.  Might as well multi-task.

We got a notice that the pub at Thornton Place is finally nearing completion.  It should be open in March.  What is that - like a year since they put up the signs?  I was dearly hoping for it to be ready for football season - no.  And then for the Super Bowl - no.  I don't give a rip about basketball.

Today is noon knitting, but it's also curriculum meeting day, which is happening soon.  Good think I got a good night's sleep.

No comments: