14 May, 2007

The best laid plans ....

Yes yes I know I said I'd have close up pictures of the growing garden but it just didn't happen. I had a crazy weekend. Friday afternoon I had a couple of appointments and by the time I got home it was nearly 7 pm and I was hungry and exhausted. I just made a simple dinner for my nephew and myself and watched basketball with him as I started frogging that Noro sweater.

Saturday I was determined to use the weed whacker to edge my lawn and garden before I mowed it. I had to run out to visit my dad, ran a few (million?) errands, but then got home and got to work. Oh, but could I get that edger to work?? What do you think? I remembered the guy I hired last summer using it and him not being content with the line on the spool and winding a larger one on the spool. I thought that might be the problem so I found other stuff AND dug out the directions and rewound the spool with smaller, recommended sized line. But it still wouldn't feed. I think I'm not installing the spool correctly. I tried and tried and TRIED but the written directions didn't speak to me - I couldn't get it. I finally gave up and put it away with the intention of going to the hardware store to purchase a pre-wound spool and get some hands-on assistance on Sunday. So I just mowed the front AND back and watered and that was enough.

I had big plans for Sunday. I was going to get up early and do some work in the back jungle before heading over to my little nephew's for a Mother's Day brunch, then hardware store for an edger tutorial ....HAD big plans. What really happened was that I had insomnia Saturday night, finally got to sleep at 4 am Sunday morning and didn't wake up until 11:30 Sunday morning! Because I had gotten up in the middle of the night Tink got an extra piddle and so she just slept along with me! I was due for my brunch at 11:30 so .... well I was only 45 minutes late. Quick trip out to see Dad for a few minutes and it was nearly 3:30 by the time I got back home. And cloudy to boot. So I said the heck with taking pictures and, having finished frogging the sweater, I started work on a felted bag and just relaxed. My nephew came home to watch to the basketball game (oh how I hate basketball -- the playoffs go on for ever!!) and I made a nice dinner and that was it. I did have a great night's sleep for a change.

Now let me make just a small comment about musicians. Perhaps it could even be called a rant .... No matter if they're 15 or 50, musicians are by and large flakes. I was SO looking forward to rehearsing this weekend. It's been 3 weekends that I haven't been able to get out there because my sister was in town and/or they (the guys) were working on their "guy" songs On their own time they're supposed to be learning the "girl" songs. The bass player's wife had been out of town for a week or more in China, and he was the one that needed the most work on those songs. But he admitted to the leader on Friday that he hadn't even worked on them once all week, so a Friday rehearsal was out of the question, Saturday the leader had plans that he had already canceled once before AND the bass player couldn't come to rehearsal on Sunday after all because his wife was coming back to town. So no rehearsal this weekend. Ah well, at least we don't have an imminent gig.

It's going to be nice for the next couple of days - in the 70s. So I brought shorts to run it. That'll be the first time this year. I felt a bit out of place last week when I was the only person I saw running in long pants.

I'm working on my second package for my secret pal. I am doing a red theme and got something really gorgeous in the mail for her Saturday. I'd better pack this stuff up before I change my mind!!

No comments: