29 May, 2007

The mystery of the 4 am bird

I'm sure I've complained plenty about the birds in the morning. Once the weather is warm enough to have my window open in the bedroom the days are lengthening and the birds are starting to welcome the day earlier and earlier. Now it's more or less 4 am when the singing begins. Since yesterday was a holiday I wasn't all that disturbed, knowing I didn't have to get up at any particular time, so I listened. I have been curious where that little bugger is sitting because it sounds so close! There aren't any trees outside my bedroom window and I never see birds perched on the fence for more than a few seconds. I listened as the bird's song got more and more complicated and intricate - just one bird. Where are his birdie buddies? Enjoying the concert? I just ... well, maybe I should Google it and find out what the heck is going on because it's just odd to me that I can't hear any other birds. I can hear multiple birds later in the day, but in that early early morning serenade it's a solo performance. Aaaanyway, I was mostly wondering where it was because it sounds as if he's sitting on my windowsill! I figured it out later in the day when I was out fiddling around in my garden. I noticed before that my Rose of Sharon shrub in the corner was a bit yellow and I was concerned about it. I took a close look to see if the buds were withering or more leaves were turning color and that's when I spotted it - bird poo! I looked up and there's a wire. That's where that little singing devil is in the wee hours - so it is practically on my windowsill!

All in all not a bad long weekend, although I might have wished for a little more social activity. Friday was a quiet evening at home, practicing for my Saturday rehearsal. Saturday I got the lawn mowed, having read in the paper that rain was likely for Sunday. I don't DARE miss mowing that grass. As it is, after 6 or 7 days I can barely push the mower through it. Saturday evening's rehearsal was good. I went out afterwards to my local pub but it was dead! There were so many things going on this weekend - the Folklife Festival and Sasquatch just to name two. So it was one pint and home. I wanted to do some gardening on Sunday but the day turned out to be SUPER crappy! Pouring rain and in the 50s. Yuk. It was a knitting day after slogging around the garden store. I was trying to find a replacement head for my Weedwhaker, thought I had purchased the correct thing but turned out I hadn't. I went back to the store on Monday, which was a lovely day, and again purchased the wrong thing! So no edging. But there was some weed pulling. My back garden is just out of control. I think I'm going to have to get some professional help. It's too daunting a task for me. I got some done. I'll just keep chipping away at it.

Knitting-wise I finished up the back of the cardigan and got a start on the ribbing for the fronts. Knitting a sweater in pieces rather than top-down just seems so complicated! But the yarn is yummy (Rowan Calmer) and it's going to be a very wearable garment so I keep at it. Also worked a bunch on the first of two looooong front pieces for the Airy Wrap-Around. Each front piece is more than 50 inches long ... so it can wrap, of course. And it's not just plain knitting (thank goodness) but an eyelet pattern worked in a 12 row repeat to keep your interest. But still, regardless of the large needles it's slow going. It's going to be cute though.

Short and busy week - plus it's nice outside and warm! Tomorrow it's supposed to be downright hot! I've got to get back into my running routine. It's been over a week but my schedule has been so messed up. Hopefully I can get back on track this week. If not - next week for sure. Come to think of it, this week is going to be tough ... I won't get into work tomorrow until after 12 and Thursday and Friday are meetings .... oh well, I'll work it out.

No comments: