16 July, 2007

Here's the deal ....

It has just been traumatic around my life these past few weeks. I don't want to blog about it, but I've been on an emotional roller coaster, for lack of a better ... what? simile? I have my health, I have my job, I have my dog and my house and my knitting so I'll be okay but that's why I haven't been blogging quite as much as normal. That being said .....

I took Friday as a work-at-home day since I had a few errands and personal phone calls to deal with and there wasn't much work that needed face time so I was able to handle it. In another few weeks the work load is going to increase substantially so I am trying to enjoy this little lull as best I can. As I mentioned, I thought it might be good to dedicate myself to one project so I could finish something that I might actually be able to wear before the weather turns. To that end I worked exclusively on my Isabella this weekend. I finished up the (multi-colored!!) back and got a good portion of the front done. If I hadn't been interrupted by a surprise visit from McG on Saturday I might have gotten all the way to the lace leaf portion of the front. I am not far from starting it. If I dedicate myself perhaps I can finish it up this week. I must say though that I am definitely NOT looking forward to mattress stitching that baby up. This is being done on size 3 needles. Someday I'm going to have to stop being so lazy and just buckle down and re-write these patterns to circular. I don't think it's that difficult - just a matter of doing a little math (eek) and then doing the fronts and back separately. Ah well .. someday [probably after I go blind stitching this top up!)

The heatwave continues. There were some rumblings Friday night - little thunder action but very little rain. Supposedly it's supposed to cloud up and shower later this week and I wouldn't mind it a bit. Because it was so hot and humid I decided to go to the nice air conditioned gym Saturday morning and was there around 10. Oddly there were plenty of parking spaces. Hmmm .... got up to the door and found that they didn't open until 11 on Saturdays -- summer hours! Dang! So I had to run instead and I swear, even after a cool shower it took me about an hour to stop sweating. Got a few errands taken care of and as I just settled in for a nice afternoon of knitting preparatory to going out to see a band with my friend Lisa I got a phone call from McG, who was on a plane in Arizona on his way to Seattle and could I pick him up. Fine .. I figured he wouldn't mind coming out to hear some music with us so I agreed to go get him. THEN I got a call from my band leader trying to get a rehearsal together after saying that we weren't going to rehearse because the drummer's dad had passed away. Well I said I couldn't come because I had to pick my friend up and it actually ends up to be great that I didn't go because the drummer and his "entourage" didn't end up arriving until after 9 and then it was just a big jam, which is no fun for a singer .....

ANYway, after struggling through the mess at the airport I got Mike and took him to my place. After 116 degrees in Arizona (but it's a DRY heat .... gak) he was happy to be in Seattle although it was in the 80s and rather humid. I LIKE humidity, to tell the truth. He wanted seafood so we went to Duke's at Greenlake so we could sit outside and enjoy the evening. It was so nice! And I was all set to go out and hear some music and then Lisa called to say she was tired and wanted to beg off. So we ended up going to the little neighborhood pub and having a couple drinks and watching "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with the sound off and crappy rock music in the background. Weird evening.

Sunday I had to get out into my front garden and so I did -- got the lawn mowed, the roses dead headed, the small weeks plucked out of the flower beds, the larger weeds along the fence sprayed .... whew! Thankfully the grass is still only growing slowly. Then Mike went off to visit other friends and I worked on my Isabella. I should have given Tinkie a bath - she is so dirty again. I took her to Greenlake for a walk on Friday afternoon and after he little dunk in the lake she got dusty. I brushed her but still. Well, I'll do it tonight after work.

I'm going to have a nice run now in about an hour. Thankfully it's still cooler - not quite 70. Nice.

No comments: