25 July, 2007

I need a snappy comeback

As you may or may not know, I commute to work by bike. I carry my "stuff" in two panniers that attach to a rack on the back of the bike. The panniers are not huge -- they're about 10 inches across and about 14 inches high -- and therefore are some days packed full. "Stuff" comprises my breakfast and lunch for the day, my wallet and sunglasses case and things like that in one pannier and in the other a change of clothes (I don't sit around in my bike clothes all day) and sometimes something extra. For example, clean gym clothes or on Wednesdays, a knitting project. So, the deal is that people make comments! "Running away from home"? one might say. Or, today, "Moving in"? Now I can't stop and tell them what I am carrying, although I am sorely tempted. I need some sort of snappy comeback to shut them up. And, as an added bonus, it would be nice if it made me look SUPER smart and clever.

Progress is slowly being made on my Isabella. It doesn't look now as if I'm going to be able to get the entire front done with the same dye lot and will therefore have to use that wonky ball for part of the front as well. Ah well ... it'll give it personality. I just want to get the darned thing done so I can get some wear out of it before the weather changes!! I know it's going to be a bitch to finish - the sewing up part I'm talking about. I think I'm going to steam block it because the edges are going to curl something awful. At least if it's flat it'll probably only take me a week to mattress stitch it up. Next little top though - I'm going to figure out how to do it in the round. Maybe I will try it with the Emerald Seas (the Knitty surprise). I have some linen blend yarn that I bought at my LYS on sale just because it was so gorgeous. It might work for this. Oh well ... it's down the line. I have too many WIPs as it is.

It's dry today and has been for a couple days now and my lawn is SO long! I must cut it tonight after work. I was going to go to the driving range .... might have to postpone that until Friday. Oh I know I'm going stink Saturday no matter what I do. If we play "scramble" rules rather than "best ball" then hopefully my partners won't hate me so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'll try to think of a snappy comeback. My brain is so fried lately, nothing is coming to me at the moment, but maybe it'll come later, George Costanza style. Have you come up with anything?

PS: Can we talk about Michael Vick? Or not. What a jackass!