25 October, 2007

An evening of boneheaded mistakes

I have heard it said many times that if you're going to make a mistake, make a big one. I took it to heart last night. Or maybe I was channeling my inner blond? I had a dentist appointment and so took off from work at around 2:30. I got to the parking garage and realized I didn't have my keys, that I had left them on my desk! So I called the department administrator but she doesn't have a master key to my office! I had to run all the way over to another building to get the key, then dash back to the garage and drive like crazy. I was only 10 minutes late, but still .... I hate to be late!

I had a nice night of knitting planned. First I finished up the sleeves for my Scoup de Jour. Since I am a little short on yarn I thought it best to sew the shoulders together and do the ribbing before I sew any other parts together so I can have the maximum amount of yarn to knit with. So I sewed the first shoulders together, ever so carefully. And then realized that I had sewn WS to RS. *sigh* Good news is that it is a small shoulder seam but nevertheless I managed to take out a stitch or two of the back shoulder as well!! With head screwed back on correctly I got the shoulders both sewn on and then realized that I wasn't up to measuring and counting to start picking up the stitches along the fronts, so I picked up the sock.

I had finished up the heel flap at lunchtime and was quite anxious to get those gusset stitches going! I got them all picked up and then I'm looking at my work -- what the heck?? Something was very very wrong. It just didn't look right and one of my needles was almost in a circle. What the heck? So I looked in the book again and realized that I had neglected to turn the heel! What a dope! So I carefully tinked back the instep stitches - luckily for me it's a simple rib pattern - and turned the heel and THEN got the gusset decreases started.

I've decided on the yarn for my sister's Ruffle Scarf that she wants. She said while shopping she saw a scarf and almost bought it until she heard my voice in her head telling her that I could make that!! So I'll walk up at lunchtime and get the yarn. I'm going to use Rowan Kid Classic. It'll be perfect. And a quick project to make since it's crochet. A nice little break.

And I still have that start of a felted bag project from the yarn my Secret Pal sent. I've decided to rip it out one more time because I do want to start from the bottom. I think my mistake before was that I was using too long a circular and I couldn't pick up the necessary stitches. If I shorten the cord I should be able to pick up the stitches and work up, which is how I want to make this particular bag. I even sketched it out! Picking the button is going to be tough because she sent me three beauties.

No comments: