03 June, 2008

Rant "ON"

Can I just tell you how incredibly rude the majority of commuters are on the bike trail? Gender makes no difference. Yesterday was, of course, my first day back on the long commute so granted, I was not zipping along at pace. I think I topped out at 13 mph. Still, I wasn't poking along at a snail's pace and I did pass a few people myself. However, there is a huge difference between coming up behind someone and dinging your bell and making a nice pass and zipping past with no warning, 3 abreast. What really set me off was on the way in - I am toiling away uphill (I measured it yesterday - at one point it is 6 miles straight of uphill grade) and there is a pedestrian in front of me, and coming towards me, downhill, are two guys riding abreast having a nice little chat. Here's what I would have done - pulled over behind my buddy to let the person biking uphill have enough room to pass the pedestrian. What did these two jackasses do, do you suppose? Right - kept riding abreast and made me brake(!) so I wouldn't hit the pedestrian. That is just one of about 8 or 10 such incidents on the inward trip. Outbound was just as bad. What are they thinking?? Rude rude rude.

Anyway I did feel the vacation yesterday on the way home. The ride in wasn't bad, but oh my goodness, the ride home was torture! I guess I hadn't eaten enough because my stomach started growling at about mile 5 or 6. I had absolutely zero energy. My ride in took me only 72 minutes. Going home was more like 80 or 85. It will be easier tomorrow and I'll be sure to bring an extra apple to eat before I head out so I don't run out of fuel. That was terrible. Today it's pouring rain. I was going to go up for a manicure at lunchtime but I won't if it's still coming down like it is now. I'll stay in and knit. I'll say this much for my temporary digs - at least riding 90 miles a week I don't feel guilty for not doing anything on my lunch break.

I worked more on the shrug last night. I think if I keep at it I should be able to finish it up by the weekend. S has promised to make me a swift. I found a web site that has a DIY swift and he has tools and he said he could do it, so yay! Then I will finally have my swift to go with the ball winder I bought about 6 or 8 months ago and haven't yet used. I want to wind up that Colinette Enigma I bought at Weaving Works and start on the Waterlily Top. It should be a quick knit and something I could wear now and through the summer. I'm wearing my Green Gables today. I really do get a lot of wear out of this top. I should make another.

No comments: