02 June, 2008

Well it was bliss

What a great vacation! The weather on Maui was, of course, wonderful. Except for the wind that would kick up every now and again. One day it started while we were at the beach and continued non-stop for about 8 hours. It wouldn't have been an issue except that we had booked a luau that evening and it was outside. Relentless - it went on and on and on, that wind.

It was one of those vacations where sleep was a big hit. Both of us have been so busy and stressed that for the first couple of days we hardly did anything but eat and sleep and that was okay. More than okay - it was just perfect! We were staying in a condo, which of course has its pluses and minuses. The minus was the noisy neighbors and the not so comfortable bed. On the plus side it was nice to be able to cook and eat what and when we wanted and to be able to come home with clean clothes.

We didn't do a lot of organized things, although you could keep busy there from sun up to sun down. We did a bike trip down the volcano. Sure you'd think after all the miles I've been doing lately that the last thing I'd want to do on a vacation is get on a bike, but S was very keen on doing it and since it was coasting and there was a wine tasting I was all for it. The wine was bad but the whole experience was really really fun.

I got to play in the ocean and get a tan and eat lots of good things and drink rum and shop .... and soak up vitamin D. I can't remember - does the body store it? I hope so because we're supposed to keep having crap weather here in Seattle all week.

Knitting? Not so much. I did get the socks cast on before we left and worked on them while traveling. But it was just too hot to knit in Hawaii. And it's a good thing I think because my left arm and shoulder feel much better. Not sore at all.

After all the chores and unpacking was done yesterday I did get to sit and knit on the shrug. And I put it on a super long Denise cord and tried it on because it just seems so huge! But it's not really. It appears that way because the collar and sides and back are all done in the round. I'll just keep on going even though I'm down to my last two balls of yarn. I am pretty confident that I'll be able to finish up the front and still have enough to do the sleeve ribbing. The sleeves are rather long already so if I end up short I can just not do as much ribbing and that'll be fine. The sleeves are designed to be a bit long so no problem.

I think I'm a bit jet lagged. I woke up too early and even though I had lots of good energy to bike in I am now just seriously dragging!! I can barely keep my eyes open. Early to bed for me tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay- I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip! I'm sure it was nice to relax and unwind after all that's been going on. Welcome back!