07 August, 2008

One way easy ...

one way hard. Super hard. I biked home last night for the first time. Okay, mitigating circumstances first - my legs were very sore from running, it was nearly 90 degrees, and my stomach was growling with hunger. In retrospect I should have had an Emergen-C and eaten a piece of fruit, but I didn't. The ride on the trail, about 6.5 miles, was fine and easy but once I got off the trail and onto the street (up 97th and then north on Sand Point Way) it was torture! Not because of traffic or surface, but the fact that it's a significant uphill grade for more than a mile. I didn't stop, but I sure as heck wasn't going very fast. The good news is that it will get easier. It's never going to be a cake walk, but it beats the heck out of a 15 mile ride. I wish it were downhill going home rather than going to work in the morning, but there ya go.

My Garmin Forerunner GPS unit, which I just love and use every single day running OR biking, was not powering up. I plugged it into my computer and reloaded its software and it powered up, but then I couldn't get it to turn off. I am lost without it. I can't tell how fast I'm going or how far, I can't keep track of my running pace either. I checked into sending it away to get fixed but they charge almost as much as it would cost to buy a new unit. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take care of that this weekend.

I got a bit of vindication from my DH with regards to my bike. I had him take it in to get the tire fixed a couple days ago since he was going to be out the way of the bike shop. I kept telling him my bike was heavy, but since he habitually lifts 100+ pound pieces of audio equipment without breaking a sweat I think he just thought I was being a wimp. HOWEVER, once he took my bike in to the shop and lifted it in and out of the van, and then went shopping for new bikes he realized just how heavy mine is. I wasn't being a wimp after all, it seems. That bike is 15 years old. I remember buying it for my birthday present to myself the first year I lived in my house in Ravenna. And I love that bike. It really suits me - it's pink and just the right size. But I believe I'm going to have to give it up and move on to a nice, light modern one. Maybe I can still fine a pink one. Oh! Or green would be nice too.

When I got home yesterday, all exhausted and sweaty, it was SO nice to walk into air conditioning! What a deluxe thing to have here in Seattle. I love it! Plus there was a package waiting for me from my Birthday Swap partner. I am a stickler for opening presents on the correct day, so I haven't even peeked at it. I will save it for when I get home tomorrow. I am going to send hers off today. Her birthday is the 11th of this month. I would link to her blog, but she doesn't have one! I know, huh? hee

I worked on my Trellis Shawl at the noon knitting yesterday and made another little mistake. Then I was multi-tasking last night - doing laundry, cooking dinner, knitting and watching TV. At one point I went upstairs to fold a load of clothes and left my knitting in the middle of the row. When I picked it up again I started knitting instead of purling, then turned the work and started the next row, got to the middle of the work and realized my mistake. That tears it - I'm going to have to rip it out and start over. I was wishing I had gone up a needle size anyway and I'm only maybe 1/10th of the way into it so it's okay. I don't know if I'll have time to do the ripping back tonight. Still lots to do at the house before the party Saturday (when it's predicted we'll have rain!!!gah!!!). The DH got the system set up in the theatre last night so now I have to unpack all those books! Oh well, maybe I'll finally unearth my iPod speaker system. That's the only thing I haven't yet found.

No comments: