12 August, 2008

An unnatural disaster

Even though I ran yesterday afternoon, with the proper fueling up before I got on my bike for the ride home (an apple and a piece of cheese) it was much much MUCH easier than last week on my old bike. It's a little challenging, but I think with my toe clips installed it will be easier still. I was pretty tired and sweaty when I got home, but got the little Tink walked then had my shower and changed into my lounge-y pants. That's when I noticed that my bedroom clock was blinking. Hmmm ... must have had a power outage. No big deal, I re-set the clock and then went downstairs and out onto the deck to put my feet up and read the paper and do the puzzle. The big cooler is still outside from the party because there wasn't enough room in the inside fridges to put the left over beverages. I pulled a bottle of white wine out of the cooler and poured myself a glass, then went inside to get a handful of chips and some salsa. Hmmmm and that's when I noticed that the display on the fridge wasn't working.

The light came on when I opened up the door but it was definitely not very cold in there and the buttons on the display didn't work. Just one bar blinking. I checked the breaker box and nothing seemed to be amiss - although in retrospect that was kind of silly since there was obviously power coming to the thing. About that time my DH came in the door but he didn't have a clue either. I had been looking at the brochure, trying to troubleshoot but there was nothing in there about this type of thing, so I called Sanyo. Their big idea was to turn it off for 10 minutes to see if it would re-set once the power came back. That didn't work. The owners had thoughtfully purchased an extended warranty and were very good note keepers, so since my DH had a 3 am call for a 6 am show this morning and needed to eat and get to bed, I worked on dinner and he called Best Buy and arranged for repair. Wednesday is their earliest time. They are supposed to give me a call today and set a definite time to come over.

I just figured everything would be fine in there for over night and I'd put a few things in the fridge in the garage in the morning. I didn't take into consideration that there is an automatic ice maker, hence the freezer is full of ice all the time. Well .... not when there is no power. So what did I step in when I came downstairs this morning? Yeah, ice water. I didn't see a way to get the ice out of there and I was in a hurry, of course, so I just put a pile of towels down and I'll have to deal with it when I get home. I did transfer all of the frozen stuff out to the other freezer in the garage fridge, which is now packed full. And now I'm sitting here and wishing that I had taken the time this morning to pull that brochure out again and figure out how to get the ice out of there because it's going to be a soggy mess on the floor when I get home. Hope Tink stays out of it.

Since S had to go to bed at 8:30 to get up at 1 am, I sat downstairs and knit on my Trellis Shawl and watched the Simpson's Movie (again). Good mindless TV for knitting. I just wish I could find my iPod sound system so I could listen to music without ear buds! That should be my project Saturday, since S has to work all day and late into the night. I can break down boxes and try to get some assemblage of order in there and also maybe find those things I've been missing - a blue bathroom rug that would be perfect for the upstairs hall bathroom, my fireplace candelabra which will be super sexy for the jacuzzi tub in the master bath, and most importantly my iPod sound system!!!!

I brought my current sock project with me today and hope to be able to get out and knit at lunchtime. The weather is gorgeous and I want to start working hard on those socks so I can finish them up and cast on with the beautiful Noro sock yarn that my Ravelry Birthday Swap partner sent me. I keep petting it .... oooooooo yummmmmmm.

No comments: