11 August, 2008

What a totally awesome birthday weekend!

Oh it was just about the most perfect birthday weekend ever! My auspicious birth day was gorgeous, weather-wise and all wise. I ran again on Friday and did my whole 30 minutes without stopping! That is just unheard of. I have never come back from such a long lay off and run the whole thing! That means that I should be able to train well enough to run the Dawg Dash! yay!!

I managed to beat my DH home Friday since he was out running last minute birthday errands. I got in the shower and dressed in time for the kick off. The Seahawks played the Vikings in Minnesota and they kicked butt! I got to sit and watch football and drink champagne and I was happy. There were flowers from my sister when I got home, not to mention the other flowers my DH had gotten me plus balloons!! Some hearts and a Seahawks balloon. And for dessert, chocolate cake. And if that wasn't enough, there was the present. A new bike!! A nice light one. Wow. Just perfect.

And to add a little perfection to the evening, about 5:30 (just as the Seahawks were about to score their first touchdown) the doorbell rang and it was a nice neighbor couple and their daughter at the door to welcome us to the neighborhood with a plateful of homemade chocolate chip cookies. I swear. Just too much.

Saturday we spent getting stuff ready for the party. And while the weather forecast had said rain, it was lovely in the morning. By the time we were done running around however it was cloudy. My DH had purchased all sorts of silly things at the party store - pink flamingos for the croquet lawn, a pirate flag to fly off the front porch and, silliest of all, a cardboard pirate with the face cut out for people to stick their heads in for pictures. That was hilarious and quite a hit. We did try to get people playing croquet and some of the little kids went at it, but it kept starting to sprinkle. And at one point actually it was pouring! S had put a canopy up over the deck to cover the barbecue and a couple of the tables but it was splashing off the barbecue so we had to take it inside for a while until it calmed down. It was a good party, even though the police weren't called.

I spent yesterday morning cleaning up and working in the garden. I had found some gigantic zucchini when I was giving a garden tour on Saturday so I picked them and lots of green beans. Turns out the beans were just a little too ripe - I cooked them last night with some other roasting vegies and they were too tough. I made a couple loaves of zucchini bread with one of the big 'uns. Some of the strawberries were ripe as well. Oh gosh did they ever taste good! I can't wait for the corn - it should be ready soon. The tomatoes haven't even started getting pink. I hope they will ripen up before the weather starts to cool down. It's going to be nice this week.

I also did the entire New York Times Sunday crossword yesterday. I finished the whole thing! I always start them, but it is very rare that I can completely finish the thing. I am considering framing it. .... No, not really.

I cast on again for the Trellis Shawl Friday evening and have knitted up one ball of yarn and started on a second. This fabric on size 9 needles has a little more drape and the trellis pattern is more open. I think this is going to work. My only concern is, since I am substituting yarn, that I have enough. To that end, when I finish the second ball I will measure and that will tell me if I'll be able to do the entire shawl. If not - then at least I will be prepared and know I have to make it shorter or skip the sleeves or make something else.

No comments: