27 August, 2008

Welcome to the monsoon season

That's what a guy said on the radio this morning. "Didn't know Seattle had a monsoon season, did you?" I can't believe - no, I refuse to believe that summer is over! But holy cow, it has been raining like crazy! I am going to check but this must be some kind of a record wet August. Not to mention the breeze and the lower temperatures. I mean come on! It's August and in the low 60s! And this weekend coming up is Bumbershoot and the weather is predicted to be terrible the whole weekend. My poor DH has a stage and must work outside all weekend, including Friday before the festival starts because the Mayor is doing something at his stage. Lucky for me there's only one act I really want to see and that's late Saturday afternoon so worst case I can just run in and run out. I'll have the Huskies season opener to look forward to that evening at least.

My department's official office space is still being remodeled. We are slated to start moving back into our remodeled space in late October, although I won't be moving until late November because I am getting not a remodeled space but a space someone else has been using while their space was remodeled. In the meantime I've been "living" in the Annex, which is an ancient construction trailer sitting between Pacific Avenue and the Rotunda/H wing section of the Health Sciences Building. Things are less than perfect here, to put it mildly. The air conditioning either doesn't work (like in my space) or is so cold that one cannot even stand it (like my friend Kate's space). One of the reasons I chose this particular office was because it has windows that opened out onto a lovely lawn -- that got dug up and covered with blacktop the week I moved in!! Well now they're breaking up the blacktop and loading it into trucks. I have to have my window open to breath so it's noisy and stinky, to say the least. I am not one to complain too much [no, really!] but with everything that's been going on with work I am already nearly on my last nerve and then this constant noise just is making me crazy!!! People come and people go because it's a surge space. One of our new people is an Avon representative. Can you guess what that means? It means that every day besides all of the noise and other nonsense I put up with here I have the reek of a different cheap perfume wafting down the hall each and every day. [Good heavens, I AM in a bad mood, aren't I?] At least I didn't forget my keys again today. Well, I drove - pretty hard to forget the keys.

I worked on the Trellis Shawl last night. Only 2 1/2 (or so) balls to go for the main part! Woohoo! I measured it on the floor - 18 inches to go. The sleeves will be fast. Then I really need to finish up that Sizzle for my sister. Then I think I'll start thinking about gift knitting and KNIT FROM MY STASH!! Seriously. I think with the One Skein book I got and the scarf book I should be able to use that stash.

A couple years ago I knit a cute little flower outfit for my friend's little girl, who I saw yesterday. The little girl loved her flower outfit but now the skirt is too short and the top is too small. She wants a pink hat with a flower on it. I can do that! She's so adorable - looks like a little elf.

No comments: