19 August, 2008

Talk about your inauspicious starts

This stuff you can't make up -- I got ready to go this morning and turned on my "new" GPS thingie - my Garmin Forerunner 201 replacement I received yesterday from a guy on eBay. First of all I couldn't get it to switch from pace to speed mode - pace is for when you're running and speed for when you're biking. Since it was still trying to triangulate I didn't think much of that, figuring I'd check it out further at work and/or when I go running. I bought it from someone in Texas so it's going to take a bit of doing for it to find it's bearings, so to speak. But at least I could use it to time the ride, right? Off I went down the street, turned the corner to go up the hill, down shifted whereupon the chain derailed, my goggles split in half, my helmet fell off and my Garmin quit working. That took 50 seconds, ladies and gentlemen. As my friend Mikie says, "heavy sigh". Got the chain back on, picked up my helmet, put my glasses back together and tried to re-start the GPS but it was locked up. I guess trying to find the satellite was too much for it.

It rained most all of yesterday and I got a bit wet going home last night but honestly, it felt good. I am sure the garden is very happy. The lawn was looking a bit rough even though there is a sprinkler system. I know this is just going to make more weeds grow but that's the price we pay.

I was rather jangled when I got home last night - busy day at work and I hadn't slept well at all Sunday night. All I wanted to do after walking the dog was have a shower and a cocktail and read my paper. But the DH wanted to hang pictures! I tried my best to be nice about it but I don't think I was very believable. He got the big gilt mirror hung up over the buffet in the dining room, but when he came into the family room with a pair of ... well let's be honest here - hideous pictures he had purchased at Costco(!) and was going to put them up in the family room I am afraid I was a little less than polite. "Oh, those don't go there. I think they'll look better upstairs in the hall on that brown-ish wall, don't you?" I mean ... they have black frames for crying out loud!! I know he loves them and he can hang them somewhere, but lets find a place that people walking into the house aren't necessarily going to see right away. I know the family room is in the back but people tend to gravitate towards the kitchen area, especially since the doors to the deck are there. So I am now going to have to find some place, upstairs hopefully, that he will accept. Am I bad?

The Trellis Shawl is going along quite nicely except I found that I have 2 extra stitches. I am reasonably sure that I discovered this on the first row that it happened. One of the rows is yo,ssk and if you haven't done the previous purl row a bit on the loose side some of the ssk are pretty hard to do. Boucle yarn is tricky anyway so I am sure I ended up with the extra stitches on that row. The light just wasn't good enough and I was tired last night so that'll be my big chore tonight. Wish me luck!

No comments: