05 January, 2010

Mystery solved

My work computer is up and running again. Thank goodness it was not infected with a virus, as the IT guy suggested. I am always VERY careful. So far my record is spotless in that regard. The culprit seems to be the network switch. I brought my laptop in just in case. I wouldn't have been heartbroken to have it be something worse. I love working from home. Especially this time of year. I am, of course, immensely grateful that I have a job, especially in light of the budget cuts that don't seem to ever end. However, as I have mentioned before, my office is a windowless box. Every single person without exception that has come to visit me in my "office" has made some comment on how depressing it is, and I couldn't agree more. Since there is not a speck of surplus in our budget for such frivolous things as painting and decor I am left with a yellow room, black shelving on 3/4 of the walls with the other 1/4 just the bare metal brackets. I had the shelves removed from that small portion so I didn't feel quite so claustrophobic and so that I could get to my desk and return without cracking my skull on a corner. The ceiling is high with exposed duct work and three of the ugliest light fixtures you can imagine. I remember last year I got very blue in the winter and the biggest reason, I firmly believe, is this closet. It's pitch black when I get up, dark when I leave for work and nearly dark when I leave for home and fully dark by the time I get there. My only sun exposure is my run and/or walk at lunchtime. Perhaps I can negotiate more telecommuting this winter. I have to learn to deal with it some way.

I did have a very good and productive day yesterday once I got home and could actually do some work. Luckily Mr. M was out at meetings so I had a nice quiet environment. His office is on the main floor and when I'm upstairs in my office I don't really hear him too much, except the phone ringing or if he has crews coming in and out. For the most part it's peaceful and time goes by pretty quickly. My new work laptop is working out fantastically from home. I can't believe I put up with that other one for so long without doing the switch. Having no choice, since it broke, I and kicking myself for not doing it last year.

I did only a little knitting on a hat for one of my nephews last night. I was very tired from the terrible night I had Monday. I got in bed early, watched a little TV and I believe I was asleep by 10. It was a great sleep! I feel pretty normal today.

The cruise is coming up in about six weeks so I've got to get the airline tickets booked, and a hotel for a few nights before we sail to visit with my sister and her boyfriend in Valencia. That's my carrot for the next six weeks.

No comments: