26 January, 2010

Wraps are the rage

Isn't it funny how knitting -- or at least our Ravelry age knitting -- has its fads? For the past few months it's been increasingly about the wrap or shawl. I was looking at pictures from some knitterly function posted on Ravelry's blog and in every picture at least two women were wearing some type of lacy shawl-ette, bandanna style at their neck, or traditionally around the shoulders. Obviously I'm not immune from the current craze [although I never did succumb to the poncho craze so I must have SOME style sense] and now that my Frost Flowers Stole is an official FO, I started a bottom-up triangular lace pattern last night with the first of 5 balls of cashmere I have. The pattern calls for lace weight mohair but it is looking nice in the cashmere. I just went up three needle sizes to get a nice drape. The pattern is a very simple 8 row repeat, every even row a purl so only 4 different pattern rows. The tough part is that you can't use markers because it's not increasing at the spine of the garment, but on either edge. After a couple false starts I got going last night. I shall reserve judgment on if this is a sane way for me to go -- a lace project with no markers.

Mr. M was working a celebrity memorial yesterday evening and then attending a dinner for the VIPs afterward. I could have attended the dinner but I just hate those things and I didn't really know the deceased all that well having only met him and his wife once. I would have felt awkward and after a day of work I was not up to getting dressed up and driving all the way down there to be uncomfortable. There were a few cool people at Mr. M's table that I might have enjoyed talking to but, again, memorials are not my cup of tea. So I had a nice evening with Tinkerbell and turned in early to watch TV in bed.

I am finding it hard to concentrate at work. It's just a little over 2 weeks until we go on vacation and I'm looking forward to that. Things are going to be pretty busy up until then, too. This weekend we have a party Saturday night (after rehearsal ... gaah), and Sunday is Mr. M's birthday so we'll have to do something ... go out to dinner maybe. I told him that the vacation is his birthday present this year, so that makes it easy.

I heard from the passport office today that they have processed my name change and my new passport is on its way. Hooray, because we need to preregister on the cruise site at least 7 days before we board and they need the passport number. My only other thing to deal with is Tinkerbell. Mr. M's bookkeeper is going to house and Tink sit for only part of the time we are gone. I had a line on a nice girl who house and pet sits for some friends, but she is going to be gone to Hawaii the week we are gone, so now I need to look for a kennel to keep Tink Tuesday through Friday. That shouldn't be too hard. I'll get on it today.

No comments: