22 June, 2011

The first day of summer .....

was yesterday and we actually got a nice day!  It was sunny and warm, even warm enough that I had to use my fan at home and even moved it into the bedroom when I went to sleep.  The pools have been cleaned up and are getting filled.  I don't think it's nearly warm enough to swim but it will be ready when it is!   We're back to cloudy today, but it was nice while it lasted.

I did have a good run yesterday afternoon and a pretty good workout in the evening even though I was STILL so tired!  Finally this morning I woke up easily and I'm not groggy.  I got a new book yesterday so I stayed up later than usual reading and talking on the phone, but I fell right to sleep when I turned on the light.  Unfortunately I hadn't eaten enough calories for dinner and I woke up at 1:30 too hungry to go back to sleep!  I mean ... my stomach was growling.  After about 30 minutes of tossing and turning I gave up and had a bite so I could get back to sleep.  Then I woke up at about 5:30 am, ready to start the day.  Imagine how happy I was when I looked at my iPhone and realized I could sleep for another hour.  Ahhhhhh .... bliss.

I sent an email yesterday afternoon to various faculty members to set out my vacation for the next few months, through November.  A few minutes later I was contacted by the administrator who asked me to come down to speak with her because one of the faculty had written to say she was concerned with my vacation plans!  I tore down the hall with my class schedule in hand.  I knew right away which faculty member it was that would make a fuss about this - me leaving and missing four classes.  And not even at the beginning of the quarter (which I would never do) but well into it when all the real and imaginary bugs have been worked out.  I have a whole system set up so that things can run smoothly when I'm gone.  The administrator finds this particular person very difficult to work with as well, so once I explained the situation she was fine with it.  I said, "I haven't been to Europe for nearly 4 years.  I'm going". 

The afternoon was taken up with the first slate meeting - by slate they mean iPad.  It was frustrating because one particular male student just wouldn't shut up and let anyone else do any talking!  I just want to get my hands on an iPad but it is a huge committee [also a mistake - I think it should have been much smaller] and I don't hold out much hope, even though I should have one to play with so I can see how my applications look on them.  Hopefully I'll miss one while on vacation.

I spent my evening reading and talking on the phone so I didn't get any knitting done.  I have brought my Kaleidoscope cardigan to work on at noon .... oh!  And I just remembered I was supposed to bring in my Shining Bird's Eye Shawl to show the ladies.  Ah well ...   Anyway, I think I've decided to bring some light weight socks to knit on my vacation.  Small, portable, drink proof.  I'm bound to be doing some shopping since I'll be with my sister, so I'll need to have plenty of room left in my suitcase to bring things home. 

No comments: