09 June, 2011

Just move a few things and I'm all messed up!

I was astonished yesterday to find myself leaving my keys in my office not once, but three separate times!  Because my office is in a busy corridor and has no windows I keep it locked when I go out for any reason.  I therefore walk out with my keys and my coffee cup or iPhone or ... whatever.  Always keys AND something.  Those keys are dropped on my desk in the same spot every time.  However, since my new addition - the Macbook - I rearranged my desk and workspace because I was able to get rid of the second terminal and keyboard and now I don't drop my keys on the same spot on my desk.  Isn't that silly?  I need to make a special effort today to remember my keys.  It's not only annoying but a little embarrassing to have to go to the Administrator and ask for the master key.

I have to rant a little bit here -- my office is a hole, as you  know.  Or rather, a closet - ugly and windowless.  There are shelf brackets up without the shelving on them and the walls are painted an off white.  I asked for the brackets not in use to be taken down but was told no, nor did I get to paint the walls or wall.  The floor is also off white tile with scuff marks.  When I was rearranging things earlier this week I really got a close look at this filthy floor and got a broom myself and swept it.  Yes, we do have custodial staff but they never seem to wash my floor or even sweep it!  I saw a custodian in the hall doing the hall floors and asked him if I could borrow a mop so I could clean the floor myself.  Then he told me the "secret".  I must request that my floor be swept and damp mopped weekly or it doesn't get done!  In other words, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and all others must sit in their dirty offices!  Is that insane??  I did walk into a clean office this morning, which is nice.  But still. 

At the meeting I attended in the morning a committee was formed to evaluate iPad usage in the 1st and 2nd year curriculum.  Oh, did I get on that committee?  Yes I did.  I SO want an iPad.  So much so that I got online yesterday afternoon to start shopping for one.  Then I stopped.  I think it is smarter to wait until I get my hands on one and also to talk to my girlfriend who has an iPhone and an iPad.  It would be a complete indulgence at this point.  I think I need to find a way to NEED one rather than just want it.  Plus I can't see getting anything other than the largest, 64 gig, version.  And since my iPhone is going to be needing replacement soon I would need to consider - do I need the largest iPhone if I have the iPad?  Wouldn't I do my watching of TV and movies on the iPad rather than my phone if given the choice?  Well ... lots to think about.

At noon knitting yesterday I brought my finished Rondeur to show and also my unblocked Shining Bird's Eye Shawl.  I was lamenting the fact that I didn't have enough blocking pads to accommodate the the 72" wingspan of this and my friend invited me to come block it at her house, which is a knitter's paradise.  I shall do that this weekend.

I got to work a bit on the Kaleidoscope last night.  I decided to do one extra (at least) raglan decrease.  I don't want the sleeves to be too off the shoulder or I'll be adjusting it all the time.  But I think if I do one extra 5 row decrease section and then extend the collar that should do it.  I would like to get the sleeves on the needles tonight so I'll be able to work on it at the meeting tomorrow but considering Tink's neediness these past few days I don't think that's going to happen.  I will probably have to wait until the weekend.

I am looking forward to my run today, after a day off.  I am not going to be able to run tomorrow because of the (final) meeting so I should make the most of it today.  And it's not raining.  In fact, I saw a bit of blue sky on my way in. 

Oh ... two more weeks to go then my sister will be here and I will be starting a week plus a few days of vacation.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to it.  I can't remember the last time I was truly looking forward to vacation.  Not having to spend it with you-know-who is a relief I can scarcely begin to describe.  And fun and sun and shopping with my sister -- heaven!  She and her boyfriend also just rented a house and have moved in so I'll have a true guest room and bed, rather than having to sleep on that tortuous fold out chair.  And her boyfriend loves champagne almost as much as I do plus he makes an awesome martini.  But there are days and days to get yet.

No comments: