05 April, 2012

The door to the hall, Pt. 2

I was surprised last Friday to find a notice on my door telling me that the apartment building was now owned by another company.  All of the staff had been changed over night except for the maintenance staff, which are now headed by another person.  As I suspected, the extra weather stripping around the door did very little to dampen the noise of the slamming, especially when the door is flung closed behind one, as my neighbor down the hall is in the habit of doing.  Yesterday afternoon as I was coming home from my walk with Tink I stopped in to try once again to have it fixed.  As luck would have it the property supervisor was visiting, and she's a very nice woman.  I explained the situation and how the maintenance man had put a band aid on it and made it clear that the mechanism needed to be replaced.  You  know the saying - A new broom sweeps clean.  I am counting on really and truly having a silent door very soon. 

Yesterday was my mid-week day of rest.  No running at lunch because of noon knitting, and no after work work out either.  Walking the dog was it yesterday.  In fact, I didn't even knit, although I am very close to being able to bind off the ribbing.  Maybe tonight I can finish it up and start on the bottom.  I took it to noon knitting yesterday and got a couple of good rows in.  I want to make the ribbing portion a little smaller than called for, as I said, but I think 2 1/2 inches is the very smallest it can be.

Work is very busy and I am thankful for that.  It is always difficult when I have a nice trip to look forward to.  I find myself messing around and day dreaming rather than keeping to task if I don't have a big project to work on.  But now I have several things that I really  need to get together before I leave so the days go by quickly and I'm tired at the end of them.

I got a bit of bad news yesterday.  My trip to Portland for that meeting in June is in jeopardy.  These departmental budget cuts are terrible and my boss wants me to be able to go to the meeting but he dropped by to suggest that this might not be the best time to go and perhaps next year would be better.  I told him he'd better watch what he promises me because they typically go between the US and Europe with these meetings, not that I would mind at all having to go to Amsterdam for a meeting in  June.  It's still up in the air.  I sent him the program and the workshops I'd like to attend.  I'll find out before I leave anyway and if it doesn't work out, that's okay.  I am going to have a nice week or so with my sister to look forward to this summer.

No comments: