30 July, 2012

All these new sounds!

The first thing I noticed when I got into my  new office today was the sound of the crows and just now I heard a seagull.  Not exciting birdsong, by any means.  But music to my ears.  I'd like to do something to improve the view directly outside my door when I have it open, like now.  At present I look across the room at a blank wall -- well, blank except for two pieces of paper giving instructions on how to use the FAX machine and what is acceptable to put into the shredding bin.  So obviously then I do see the FAX machine on a wooden cabinet, the shredding bin to the left and then a counter with paper cutter and various staplers and cabinets holding office supplies.  A nice scenic poster above the supplies counter would be nice.  But first I should get something for my office wall.

I had quite a busy weekend and the weather was nice through it all.  Friday evening I went to dinner and for a wander around Ballard, which is one neighborhood I am considering for my next move.  The restaurant was very interesting Mexican - but not typical.  The food was excellent.  I heard from Gregg that evening on the way home that the guy, Michael, who was going to play guitar with us on Sunday had run into a snag and couldn't make it until after 6 because he had a new job.  That meant getting the acts shuffled around.  I didn't need any more aggravation so I just put it out of my head.  Either he would make it or not - out of my hands as well.

I just wanted to relax on Saturday but that was a little more difficult than it should have been.  I got Tink walked and ran a few errands and then my plan was to kick back, work on lyrics and maybe do laundry.  Mike was going to come by to crash on the couch so I got something for dinner and was looking forward to a fun evening, and early to bed.  BUT that didn't seem to be in the cards.  My new neighbors downstairs were exceptionally noisy and their music was playing loud all day, driving me crazy!  In all the time I've lived here, with at least two separate tenants below me, I have never been bothered by noise.  Finally when I was about to scream with the incessant thump thump thump I went downstairs and asked them to turn it down.  She said she would but it didn't make much difference.  And then I learned why when she and her boyfriend knocked on my door about 7:30 to inform me they were throwing a surprise party for a friend.  Oh joy.  It was going on nonstop until 3 am.  Thank goodness Mike had some ear plugs in his car and the combination of that and the fan going at least dimmed it enough so I could sleep through most of it.  But I didn't wake up feeling too great yesterday.

The weather was again great [which I am hoping means that a lot of people came to see my house - but no word yet] and after a couple of walks I got ready and headed up to Snohomish for our gig.  It actually turned out fine.  Good even, in some spots.  Gregg and I both forgot the second set of lyrics on the last song, but made the most of it.  What can you do?  It happens.  My favorite part was when the second guitar player started playing with us.  He is awesome!  And I got to finally sing Adele's arrangement of the Cure's "Lovesong".  It went over better than I could have hoped.  Mike recorded it on his phone so I will have to give a listen and see .... I mean hear ... how it sounded out there.  It was a fun fun night.

And now back to reality.  First thing I need to deal with the lack of participants for the golf tournament and dinner.  I will call the golf course this morning.  I think the caterers are closed on Monday but I'll give them a call as well, just in case.  And then a good run this afternoon after a walk to the bank.  It's not very nice today but the plus side to that is that it's not very hot either.  And fingers crossed all over the world that I get some GOOD NEWS this week!!!

No comments: