19 July, 2012

The move is coming up

I was met at my office door this morning by a maintenance man who wanted to take a peek to see what picky little things he was to get done before the computers are moved into my luxurious space.  The pain in the behind who is moving his computers in here had complained about a couple of holes in the ceiling -- which is very high.  Afraid some asbestos will come leaking down on his computers or something idiotic like that.  Also there is a piece of baseboard missing.  When I moved in here after the department was remodeled I wanted to have all of the shelving brackets removed, the ceiling lowered -- not really lowered you understand, but have a real ceiling installed to cover the duct work -- and the room painted.  But there was no money for that kind of thing so the best I got was a floor wash.  Now this boob needs to have the ceiling patched and the baseboards tidied up for his computers.  But he is a scientist and so can make more demands than I. 

It was noon knitting yesterday and so no running.  I was planning on a walk up to the bank and a run back today, but note the past tense.  One of my more troublesome faculty members - the one I think is the main cause of my stress which caused these hives - needs a one-on-one tutorial for my new virtual microscope annotation system and wants it at 11:30.  Granted, this annotation system is not intuitive nor is it documented.  The company provided a demo showing all of the ways one can use the annotation system, but you are left to puzzle it out on your own.  For someone with a little computer knowledge or experience it doesn't take too long, but she will not take the time to learn it on her own, so I have to write out a tutorial and then go through it with her step by step.  This is the same woman who sat by me when I was teaching her how to make some other html pages and talked over me continually ... "Yup.  Uh huh.  Got it.  Yes.  Mmhmm.  Right."  Then she gets to her office and calls me every 5 minutes with questions that I had already answered and that she had in print in front of her face.  [Ooooo, I'm feisty this morning, aren't I?]

Tomorrow evening I am going up to Gregg's and he and I and the bass player will have a vocal rehearsal to just work on harmonies!  That is going to be SO much fun!  It is so nice to sing with people who actually know how to sing and can pick out their parts.  And then on Sunday again we will have a full band rehearsal.  The following week I am hoping we can have at least two more full band rehearsals.  We got a great spot on the 29th.  We will be playing at 5 pm.  That might sound really early, but since it is a Sunday people are going to be out early, wanting to get home at a decent time.  So 5 is perfect!  I am so looking forward to this.  And I am going to start asking Gregg about recording so he can maybe get someone up there to make a nice one for us.

No comments: