13 July, 2012

Where is everybody?

I am sitting in my office.  It's 8:15 and I can't hear a single soul walking in the hall, or talking anywhere.  Ah!  There, I just saw someone walk by.  Otherwise it is silent.  The chairman and his wife are going to be gone for a few weeks - traveling to a meeting in Berlin and then vacationing, so his secretary is also gone.  Probably most of his lab will be out, taking their summer break at the same time.  And it seems that many people are taking vacation time or at least a long weekend.  It's spooky!  I thought for a minute there that I had forgotten a holiday.

The move to my new office is set for the 27th - two weeks from today.  However, we are going to have to move my big furniture out into the hall on Thursday so that the custodial staff can wash the floor before the next occupant moves his stuff in.  Talk about a piece of work!  This guy ..... he's rather new here - maybe been here a year - and not making any friends, that's for sure.  He will be using this office for his computer servers which are currently in a windowed office that the department supervisor is going to move into, and I will be taking her office.  He is afraid that there will be glitch when his servers are moved and therefore asked that he move them a week early into my office just to be sure everything goes smoothly!  Believe me when I say that I always try to get along, I don't make trouble and I am super accommodating.  But one has to draw the line somewhere and I had to tell the supervisor that it was not something I was comfortable with.  This space is cramped as it is and it would be next to impossible to get my things OUT if we had all of his stuff IN.  Ah!  Good point, she says.  The IT guy has told him several times that there will be no problems, that it is the same subnet as he is currently using, but that's not good enough.  He came to my office yesterday to take some measurements and see the space.  When I assured him he would not have any trouble with his servers he threatened me!  Shaking his finger in my face -- "Well, if they don't work I'll have to move them right back to that office"!  As if I was in charge of the move.  As if that was a something I was concerned with.  Then he looks at the ceiling and asks me if there is asbestos up there!  At this point I'm just looking at him like he's crazy -- which I think he is.  A few minutes later the supervisor came to see me and told me what a pain he is, and how rude.  I can believe it.  He told her the space smelled "smoky".  Smoky?!?  I had just opened a new box of tea, so perhaps that was what he was smelling.  He's a jerk.  The good news is that since my office has to be emptied on Thursday she said I could just take the day off.  Nice.

I drove up to see Gregg last night and to run over our songs.  He lives 45 minutes away, way up in Snohomish.  It's beautiful, but what a terrible commute!  I got back around 10 and of course wasn't in the least bit tired.  Tink enjoyed the company, we had a nice little walk around the garden and I watched some TV.  It's about time to start thinking about my next project.  Maybe I'll make that Henley.  I wore my Rondel top this week.  I sure love that top.  And I have the same type of yarn to make the Henley.  I'll check it out tonight maybe.

No comments: