06 January, 2009

I think the snow made me weak

Biking in was tops on my list of things to do today, especially since I was all psyched up about it Sunday night and had that nasty snow take away my bike ride. However the news kept showing another storm coming in, lots of rain and wind predicted. So when I woke up this morning and heard the rain pelting down on the skylight in the bathroom I threw in the towel and decided to drive AGAIN! By the time I was dressed and walking out the door the rain had stopped and it was only just misting all the way in! I was being a wimp! But oh I didn't want my first ride of the year to be a soaker. It is so uncomfortable for so long. I had it too easy all those years - that little 3 mile ride. I could ride in a gale and it wasn't any big deal because it only took about 12 minutes! But now .... 40 minutes. I've just gotten soft with two weeks off. If it's not pouring and blowing tomorrow morning I'm going to ride!

I was very very very tired yesterday. My cold - if that was what it was - seemed to have pretty much disappeared so I thought I might wake up a bit if I went outside and ran at lunchtime. It was a good run, considering that I had to practically threaten myself to get outside. I knew I would feel better if I got it over with and I did. Especially since I had to drive in. But oh ... when I got home it was all I could do to drag Tink around the neighborhood for 20 minutes. I was so sleepy! I managed to stay up until 9, knitting on my second Noro sock and watching an awesome Fiesta Bowl.

Something very strange happened with these socks though .... and I can't quite explain it but it does make me see that knitting socks at the same time is really the way to go. These two socks are just two different sizes - no other way to say it. I was working on that ribbing and I put sock 1 on my foot and sock 2 on my foot and holy cow! the first one was WAY bigger than the second. You're going to say - didn't you try the first one as you went? And the answer is yes yes yes of course I did! My only explanation for the difference in size, after pondering this mystery, is that I must have given myself too much ease on the foot part of the first sock. When you do toe up construction, in case this is new to you, you knit until the sock just reaches your leg on the top and then you knit back and forth on the bottom heel part, then turn the heel and do the gusset. I must not have been paying close attention and I went too many rows past where it meets my leg, then made the heel too deep causing me to have more stitches to pick up and therefore the heel was taller than it should be, causing it to be bigger. I was measuring just parts of the sock against each other as I went along with sock 2 and hadn't really held them up side by side until last night. Such a rookie mistake! There is a silver lining to this little disaster. Now I can do toe up two at once. I will simply start unraveling the first sock and knitting directly from it and the second one I can just wrap around the left over skein and go from there.

After discovering this travesty I tossed them aside and picked up the Rockstar again. See my little lifelines? I am 70 rows in to the back. I have 40 more rows to go and then I start the armhole decreases. This is going to be so pretty!

No comments: