01 June, 2010

Cultural boundaries

As I had hoped, it was a fantastic long weekend despite the weather. I got nearly everything done that I had planned on doing, and then some.

Saturday was chore and errand day, so I got going early and made the nail salon my first stop. Since I was going on to the mall I had dressed up a bit from my normal sweatshirt and jeans, wearing a low-ish cut top over a camisole. At one point three of the women there were chatting to each other in Vietnamese and then one of them said to me that I looked good, and that was a very sexy top I was wearing. She went on to say that I was showing quite a bit of cleavage but it looked good and were my breasts real? I started laughing, "Of course they're real", I said. I really can't imagine having an exchange like that at my hair salon but there it was just normal conversation, I guess.

I got a great gift on Friday. One of my knitting buddies was also on the bike to work challenge with me and she has an even longer ride. She's very well versed in keeping dry and has all the gear including the helmet cover and shoe covers. She said she wanted to drop a book by for me that she thought I'd enjoy and when she came in she also had a pair of shoe covers for me! Isn't that sweet?? I can't wait to try them out. Maybe I'll be so lucky tomorrow.

We had a wonderful rehearsal Saturday night. Every once in a while we all really seem to be on the same page and it sounds great. Or really good anyway. We need to add a keyboard player though. Doug is trying to get us a place to play in July.

I didn't do a whole lot of knitting this weekend. In fact I didn't knit at all Friday or Saturday because my hand was so sore! It's the purling - it kills me! My thumb or my shoulder or both. Now my shoulder is hurting. I thought it was because of how I was carrying some packages around the mall but now I think it's more from the knitting. Anyway, despite the fact that I couldn't knit for two nights I did finally sew on the buttons to my Tangled Yoke Cardigan, finished and blocked the Whisper Cardigan and the Enchanting Scarf and swatched and started the Mirabella Cardigan. Pictures forthcoming.

My big project - the closet and drawer clean out - was accomplished on Sunday. It took hours but I went through every single dresser drawer and both of my closets and I was ruthless. I took 3 big bags to donation yesterday and Mr. M even got in on the act and cleaned his closet. It feels good to have that chore out of the way. Now hurry up summer!!!

No comments: