15 September, 2010

I have drawn a conclusion and it's making me sick

Oh probably not literally.  I would hope.  I was getting ready for work this morning and was just getting ready to put my biking clothes on when it hit me ... hard.  And I realized there was no way on earth I'd be able to get on my bike.  Although it is early in the season there is some stomach flu going around and I think that's what has my guts in a knot.  But there's something else that has me in knots and that's the conclusion I drew yesterday evening.

Every couple of weeks I have a  housekeeping service come to the house.  I was introduced to this woman , M,  when I was selling my house a couple years ago.  She cleans the house of the woman who sold me my house, P, who gives her work cleaning houses she is getting ready to sell, for example.  So M came with a pretty good recommendation.   M usually comes with 2 or 3 other women, not always the same ones.  About a year ago I noticed that a ring I had in a little dish on the counter in the bathroom was gone.  I assumed that when they were cleaning it  had fallen out of the dish and gotten vacuumed up.  I was upset about it but not willing to make a fuss.  Then in March I couldn't find a top that I particularly loved.  I remembered washing it and hanging it in the guest bathroom to dry and that's the last time I saw it.  A few weeks later I went to grab a jacket to walk the dog and it was not there.  I did a closet and drawer purge another few weeks after I noticed those things missing and sure enough they were gone.  Disappeared!  I suspected that Mr. M's youngest daughter had accidentally taken them when she was staying with us but she swore not.

In August I was looking for a pair of pants I had purchased along with a coordinating tunic when we went to Hawaii.  I didn't find them where they were supposed to be but I thought that perhaps I had put them in a drawer in the guest bedroom and since it was occupied at the time I just left it.  But yesterday after work I thought about those pants again and went into the guest room to search the drawers and they were not there, so I looked again where they should be and where they could be and even in Mr. M's closet.  Nope, gone.  And that's when I thought that I hadn't seen the tunic for a few weeks either.  Mr. M's daughter hasn't been here and even if she had she's pregnant now and nothing I have would fit her.  The only other person who is ever in the house when we're not home is the bookkeeper and she a very nice lady and way too big to fit into my clothes.

So what other conclusion can I draw?  Someone is taking my clothes and the only people who have access are the cleaners.   I just don't know what to do.  I am going to talk to P and see if she has heard anything like that from other people.  My sister says I have to find someone else and I think she is right.  I just hate for this to be happening.  It feels bad.

No comments: