29 September, 2010

What is it about a scent that can take you back?

It never ceases to amaze me how powerful that link is between scent and memory.  One little whiff and the  memories flooded back so vividly my knees nearly buckled.  I'm still a little unsteady more than twelve hours later.  I ran across some incense I had saved from when I lived in Paris - just 3 little pieces, each one smaller than the other but I decided to burn them while I was working.  Wow.  Wow.

Yesterday the home theatre was emptied in preparation for painting and when I came home I found two more bookcases in my office.  I was not all that keen because, frankly, if I had wanted them in there I would have put them in there in the first place.  However, there was nothing for it, I just had to make do.  So that necessitated moving things around my shelves.  It ended up to be not a totally wasted exercise since I got to have that experience with the time traveling and went through and organized my yarn stash.  I really should take some time soon and take some pictures and put it up on Ravelry.  I have some good stuff!  Some beautiful linen, and three different bags of Noro, enough Ella Rae Shibu for some sort of top and ... well, just lots of good stuff.  I am re-vitalized and I want to knit knit knit.  I just wish I had more time.  And I also decided that I'm going to try felting in my front loader because I've got some perfect felting yarn and I love to do it.

Since I worked long and hard in my office I didn't feel like doing much after cooking dinner so I just watched a movie and conked out.  I want to finish up that book tonight.  I've got about 4 sitting on my bedside table that I want to read and two that I'm only half done with.  Another couple weeks and work will calm down and I can look forward to evenings when I've got a bit of energy left!  And getting up in the morning, now that it's dark, is really difficult.  I just couldn't pull myself out of it this morning.  Plus I was having interesting dreams.  I can't remember what, but interesting enough that I didn't want to get up.

Okay, enough blathering.  Onward!

No comments: