19 November, 2010

Ahead of schedule

I usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving to have the first eggnog latte of the season.  However, today just felt right so I am having one now.  And it is yummy!  You can ask them to mix the eggnog with 2% milk so it's not too sweet.  In fact it's just right.  And gone.

Everything seems to be moving a bit faster this autumn.  I heard on the radio this morning that Crystal Mountain is opening today for skiing and Mt. Baker will be open tomorrow.  Snow is falling in the county near the Canadian border and is expected in other outlying areas this weekend.  I don't believe we'll be getting any here although the forecast is for snow mixed with rain.  It's not nearly cold enough.  It does look like we're getting a cold snap early next week though. 

Because of the 5 o'clock football game yesterday the commute home on the trail was a bit challenging since many people were taking advantage of the trail to walk to the game.  I did manage to avoid hitting anyone and considering the obvious pre-game alcohol consumption of a few rowdy groups I believe I deserve some sort of recognition.  I had set the game to record so that I would be able to take Tinkerbell for her walk and have a shower before watching the game.  Mr. M was gone all day and I couldn't NOT take her out.  And another bonus - I could speed through all the pre-game blah blah and commercials and get right to the game.  And hoorah! they won!  If they can win the last two games they most likely will get a bowl game.  I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice for a change.

I had an epiphany about my convertible mittens.  I wore the cashmere ones while I was out walking Tink.  It was very cold and I wanted to keep my bike jacket on because it's reflective, but it has no pockets.  I had one hand closed up as a mitten and the other open so I could deal with picking up the deposits, etc.  I noticed that the twist was even more pronounced after wearing the mittens and part way through the walk my fingers started poking out through the palm.  It wasn't just that the flap needs to be bigger but it was the twist because of the thumb gusset.  So while I was knitting the current pair last night I got to thinking about that.  I had put all of the thumb gusset on the palm needle and then replaced the original 5 stitches back onto that needle.  With this current pair I have decided to distribute the thumb gusset equally between the two needles.  That should take care of the twist.  I'm excited now to try out my theory.  I've got the first 4 rounds of the gusset increases done.  It's a little slower going on the size 3 needles but I should be able to finish up the thumbs and more this weekend.  Not much tonight, since we have to go to Mr. M's mom and dad's for dinner.  I'll have some time Saturday before rehearsal.

No comments: