03 November, 2010

Dinner fail

I thought I'd try something new last night.  Not huge, just a different preparation for some squash.  Rather than peel it and cube it and steam it I thought I'd bake it.  I typically bake Acorn squash and this was just a big chunk of Hubbard and there's no reason I couldn't bake it, right?  Well, turns out I was wrong.  What I should have done is cut it up and roasted it like I do when I make roasted vegetables.  It wouldn't get done and wouldn't get done so I turned the oven up to cook the fish in hopes that the squash would finish cooking as well.  Okay, everyone reading this already  knows what happened, right?  The bottom of the squash burned and the flesh refused to cook.  Well no matter, I had a good bit of Trader Joe's marinated Ahi tuna and their lovely roasted vegetables in balsamic sauce and some lovely bread.  For some reason or other the fish was mushy(!) and therefore inedible as far as I was concerned and the vegetables were not hot.  But at that point I was so disgusted with myself I ate the tepid vegetables, took a couple bites of fish and called it dinner.  Ick.  I hate it when I mess up dinner.  I can't eat Mr. M's cooking at all so it's up to me and when I mess up such a simple meal it puts me in a very very bad mood.  In fact, I'm still upset about it.  I could be crazier than I think.

I did figure out the problem with the stitch count for the Coquille shawl/scarf.  I misread the pattern and therefore did only six repeats of the motifs rather than six MORE.  So what I am doing now is more of the smaller motif as I decrease 4 stitches each repeat.  It is going to mean that one side of the thing is longer than the other but since I'm not going to be using it as a shawl anyway it won't make any difference.  Design element.  I still haven't finished it though.  Hopefully tonight.

I'm hungry.

No comments: