24 November, 2010

Sometimes we just have to break tradition

and I think this is the perfect time.  Typically I look forward to an egg nog latte the day after Thanksgiving to kind of ring in the holiday season.  This year .... I'm not waiting!  I am having one now.  This weather is just insane and I couldn't see any reason to wait.

I made it home okay Monday night but it was SO cold and treacherous.  Mr. M had been occupied during the day and left his errand running until after 5, which is typical for him but not too smart a move on a day like Monday with the temperature below freezing and snow falling.  He had to pick up something at the pharmacy and a 20 minute errand ended up taking an hour as he navigated by stuck vehicles and tried to avoid the hills - which is not easy around here.

I had already planned on working from home on Tuesday but they decided to suspend operations at the University campuses and so yesterday was an official snow day.  I tried to sleep in but unfortunately my body thought it was a work day so I was awake for good at 6 am.  It was sunny but oh so cold and I thought something nice from the slow cooker for dinner would be just the thing.  I looked through my favorite cookbook, the Cooking Light "best of" volume and found a lamb stew that was just complicated enough to make it interesting and sounded like it would be awesome!  After giving Tinkerbell a little walk around the neighborhood I put on my pack and started hiking to the nice grocery store about a mile away.  The side streets were compacted snow and ice but some of the main arterial streets, like 145th, had been sanded and plowed so traffic was mostly moving on that street although I did see a couple people having trouble with the inclines.

And after I got home I had a nice long lazy afternoon ahead of me with nothing on my plate.  I thought it might be fun to pick up that blanket project I had started sometime ago.  I don't usually crochet but I found a pattern that I liked and thought it might be a good project to pick up when I was bored with my other (billion) WIPs.  But when I picked up my bag with the pieces the magazine with the pattern was missing.  In one of my tidying frenzies I had put it back on the shelf and I couldn't remember which magazine it was.  Now, I have by Ravelry count, 56 magazines and so it is not such a simple thing to search through all of them.  But I thought why not use the Ravelry pattern browser to find it?  BUT it seems like I had forgotten to add that particular magazine to my collection so the pattern didn't show up.  So I got a bit craftier and used all those awesome filters and found the magazine in just a couple of minutes.  Hoorah for Ravelry!!

Before I went to bed I got an alert from the UW saying they would be open today as usual, which I found to be rather odd since it was predicted we'd get into the teens at night and not much over mid-twenties today.  And sure enough at 12:40 am another alert was sent saying it was closed again.  So I have another nice day to get my Thanksgiving dinner plans set and figure out how I'm going to get to Doug's tonight for rehearsal.  Mr. M said he'll take me but Doug lives so far out I can't imagine it would be a good idea.  We will see.  It is supposed to warm up tomorrow but I sure don't envy all those Thanksgiving travelers out there.

No comments: