29 November, 2010

And as quick as that it was gone

What an incredibly bizarre few days of weather.  I did not go to Doug's Wednesday night for rehearsal because it was still below freezing.  Thanksgiving day started out a bit over freezing and warmed up steadily throughout the day.  Friday morning I woke up and all the snow was gone and it was raining!  It's not warm but at least it's not freezing or below and there is not one trace of snow around.  I wonder how many more times we'll have to go through this mess this winter.

Thanksgiving was low key and quiet.  I made a nice big turkey dinner for Mr. M and his two kids.  It took me four hours to prepare and 30 minutes to eat.  Crazy.

I had a hair appointment on Friday and then went out to Doug's for our final rehearsal before the thing Saturday night.  I got there at 4:30 and we went through 30 songs that I was set to do for Saturday.  That took us until 8:15.  No breaks.  We went through a few of them more than once but I was not confident in my musicians.  On Saturday I laid low, watched the Huskies play Cal [they won!] and went out to get my make up done.  I haven't had it done for ages and thought it would be nice to get a professional to do a sexy, smokey eye for me and then I'd know how to do it myself.  And I think that's the sole positive thing I have gotten out of our "gig" on Saturday night.

It's not that we here horrible, per se.  But it could have been SO much better.  Thankfully we had Mr. M there to run the sound or I would have walked off the stage.  The monitors mix was a mess because the stage is small and domed inside so you can imagine what that does to the sound of drums.  As he got more and more excited, the drummer was beating those drums and cymbals as if he were outside playing in an arena.  At one point I turned around and begged him to quiet down a bit.  And at the break the bass player did as well.  It was just one thing after another.  I don't know what to do about it, but I need a break from them for a while.  I sounded good though and I am looking forward to listening to the recording to see if anything is salvageable to post.

Needless to say I had a nice quiet day yesterday.  Mr. M was gone most of the time working and I watched football and did laundry and knit, having done all my running around on Saturday.  All was normal, I went to bed and was asleep around 10 pm, BUT my iPhone woke me with an alert at 12:30.  I had forgotten to turn it to silent.  I didn't think it was any big deal until I started thinking about all the things I would like to say to Doug, then started thinking about ... oh who knows what.  I tossed and turned and was all congested.  I got up for water.  I got up to blow my nose.  I got up to walk around.  Finally I went downstairs and got a Benadryl, hoping that it would make me go to sleep and clear me up so I could breath.  I looked at the clock then and it was 4 am.  I turned of my alarm and sent an email to work saying I was going to be late.  I figured if I fell asleep then I could sleep in until 8 or 9 and go in to work at 10.   I got up again and got a cough drop.  Tick tock tick tock ... Benadryl was not working and now it was 5:45!  OMG!  Finally, right before Mr. M's alarm went off at 7 I dropped off.  I told him what had been happening and to let me sleep.  I woke up at 9:15.  *sigh*  Still way congested.  So I'm working from home today and I called in rather than send an email.  I always find it suspect when someone doesn't turn up for work after a long weekend.  I will work here at my computer.  If sleep does overcome me at least I can lay down for a while here.

No comments: