18 November, 2010

Learning the hard way. Again.

Here's what I learned:  Put the rain gear on if rain is forecast for the day and it's currently sprinkling.  Even though the sky looks lighter in the direction you are going.  It is better to have the gear on and not need it than arrive at work soaking wet to the skin.  Thankfully I have dry running pants, socks and shirt I can put on to get home but my gloves are another matter.  Not only that, I am sitting here with wet hair and wearing wet tights.  The tights I wore under my bike pants because it is rather chilly.  I don't have an extra pair of tights.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed I don't catch my death of cold.

I did the finishing on the first pair of convertible mitts yesterday evening.  I should have taken pictures.  They are not perfect but I will be able to wear them and the next pair will be perfect.  I cast on for another pair on size 3 needles with the sock yarn again.  While the stitch counts are different the basic pattern is the same.  I need to do a few things differently though.  For the pairs that I knit in DK weight yarn on size 6 needles I either need to use a smaller needle for the 2x2 ribbing at the cuff or switch to 1x1.  It doesn't seem to matter with the sock yarn on size 3 needles if I do 2x2 ribbing but the other was too loose.  Also, I think I need to cast on 5 stitches when I have finished knitting the thumb gusset and putting the thumb stitches on waste yarn.  Otherwise, if you increase those five stitches evenly across the palm the mitt is twisted a little bit.  So that leads me to believe that the increase has to be in the same spot the original 5 stitches were taken.  I need to make the palm side ribbing for the top just a little bit longer.  Adding the two stitches on each side worked to make a little overlap and I was able to sew it down so it didn't show.  On this next pair I will make it a bit longer and if I replace the five stitches at the thumb I don't think it will show on the back of the hand.  And also with this pair I want to find a better way to do the decreases to close up the mitten.  I don't want it to be so pointed as the other pair.

Big football game tonight.  And indeed Jake Locker is going to be able to play his last home game.  Thankfully we're not playing a really great team, so maybe they will win. 

No comments: