23 November, 2011

Isn't a martini a martini?

Yesterday we got quite a late start for Trier. I learned that Trier is the oldest German city with some incredible ruins. We got there around 4 when it was still light and set off for the shopping district. There is a city gate that is just amazing. It is Roman and dates from the 2nd century AD. We are so lucky that the Christmas market had just been set up. It was very picturesque and on the way back to the train station it was dark and all of the booths were lit. It was so pretty. I found some awesome boots and a cute top and Emma got a few things as well. A very successful trip. When we got back to Luxembourg we arranged to meet Emma's boyfriend, Fred, at the restaurant of a friend -- very trendy place. I ordered a dry vodka martini up with an olive. A few minutes later he sets a glass down in front of me - a tall glass with ice in it and a lemon slice on the rim. Hmmmmm. I took it up to the bar, apologized and said I didn't want to tell him his business but could I have this martini in a martini glass with no ice and an olive? The he proceeds to tell me that is what I asked for (in my hand) and what I was describing was a martini cocktail. Now I have spent a few years behind a bar on both sides. You give the customer what they ask for, you don't argue. Well, a normal person perhaps. I described again, vodka and dry vermouth. What I got was vodka and lots of sweet vermouth. It was disgusting. We did not stay for dinner. It was a struggle but I got everything in the two bags. I keep wondering what I have that is taking up so much more room. I did get some cough medicine and some lovely massage oil at Harrods, and that is heavy, being liquid. I am a complete failure at packing light. I have other good qualities. Tonight I am in a lovely boutique hotel very near the palace and having a kind of martini in the bar. I have compromised my normal don't buy WiFi at the hotel rule because I don't know this area very well plus we will be leaving from here tomorrow for tea and the Leonardo exhibit so if I want to hang out and wait here I will be able to be on line. It is nice out so I will go exploring for dinner a little later.

No comments: