09 December, 2013

It was bound to happen

It has been so cold for so long that my office is actually COLD!  Usually I'm sitting here in short sleeves, sweltering no matter what the time of year.  Not so today.  Actually I noticed it last week that it was a little chilly.  It's kind of nice for a change.

It was clear and cold and sunny for the entire weekend.  Saturday morning Tinkie and I had a nice walk to the Starbucks near where I used to live, since I wanted to drop a couple of shirts off at the cleaners.  There are metal tables and chairs outside of the Starbucks and I tie Tink up to the table, then go in and get my coffee and breakfast and sit outside with her to enjoy it.  Well, I couldn't even sit on the chair!!  It was that cold!  We got to the cleaners at 9:15, they are due to open at 9.  Nobody was there and it was WAY too cold to stand around waiting for the owner to arrive, so we headed back home.  It'll have to wait to next Saturday.  Then I took a Zipcar out to Tuesday Morning for a fun hour plus walking around.  I got a couple of little things - nothing spectacular.  I just like poking around there.  You never know what you're going to find.  Then a quick stop at the grocery store on the way back home. 

The rest of the day was dedicated to college football and knitting.  I have been looking forward to starting the Textured Study I scarf with the yak down yarn.  I cast on Friday night and started the seed stitch border, then continued while watching football on Saturday.  But all was not right.  First I noticed a little section where I had messed up the seed stitch on the border - probably Friday night when I was watching a movie.  It was not very noticeable so I thought I'd just ignore it, but when I got to the body of the scarf, row 7 to 12, things started to look weird.  The pattern is not correct.  By following the instructions the seed stitch edging was now just ribbed and the body did not have the right stitch count.  I couldn't fix it so I had to rip it out.  So Saturday night in bed I started thinking about it and on Sunday, after a little trip to the mall and the nail salon, when I settled in to start work on it again I did a little math and realized two things.  First, the pattern as written is dead wrong and second, the pattern will only work on an even number of stitches.  Odd number of stitches (5) on each end for the seed stitch and an even number between.  Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing and it looks gorgeous!  This yarn is about as soft as cashmere.  And with a slight halo ... yumm.  I am making this for someone else - it's going to have to go away.  But I'm going to get more of this yarn for myself.

So Sunday was a good day, except the Seahawks got beat.  It's not the end of the world but it was a painful game to have to watch.  They should still be okay and get home field advantage if they continue to win.  Two of the last three games are at home so .... that's good.

Monday - cold and cloudy.  It's supposed to warm up and we're predicted to have snow tomorrow but it shouldn't last but a few hours and then it'll be back to normal wet and warm-ish.  I can't wait.

No comments: