25 June, 2012

All the planning in the world....

Doesn't help at all when it comes to the train. Or the weather. Saturday I got ready to get out of town in the morning, when it was partly cloudy and warm. Unfortunately the sky opened up and it was pouring rain! My friend Monika graciously volunteered to drive me to the train station when I parked my car with them rather than have me take the Link Light Rail and then have to walk in the pouring rain to the train. It left on time but before Tacoma we started having trouble with the locomotive and ultimately had to stop while a new one was fetched. That got me in to Portland 2 hours late. So I missed the reception. I did get upgraded to the Executive Tower, which was a nice outcome. Yesterday was the first day of the meeting. A long day with a bit too much small group interaction for my taste. But I have been doing some good networking. Also not something I always enjoy. Kate and I got out last night for a lovely long walk and a great dinner. The walk took us to our restaurant of choice which was closed! I know it was Sunday but still, their web site had not made that clear. We ended up at a rather nicer place than we had set out for and it was good. A great evening for a walk too. I woke up this morning markedly better! I am pretty happy about that. There a few more people here from the UW. A couple of deans that Kate and I joined for breakfast. Now I wait for the morning plenary talk. We have a dinner tonight and I hope to be able to get outside this afternoon. If weather permits. I did get a few rows done on the train of the Aristida. I had downloaded Wolf Hall, which coincidentally is my friend Kate's book club choice this month, and I was glad for it since the train ride ended up so long and the amount of chatter at times unbearable. I hope to get more done tomorrow. And hope the train ride is on time and uneventful.

No comments: