04 June, 2012

A very challenging weekend

My new license arrived Friday so this morning I am at the Social Security office to get my name changed. It is going to be a wait so I may as well be productive. People are lined up outside and they don't open for another 3 minutes. It is cold though and drizzling so I am in my car until the doors open.

Saturday morning Gregg called to say he was going to a jam session at Rusty's and would I come? Nope. I hate jam sessions. I don't play guitar so what am I supposed to do? Hope they know some of my songs and want to play them? Anyway I already had plans to have a girlie knitting afternoon at my friend's condo. Now I wish I had joined Gregg.

You know how people are always talking about their Bucket List? Things they want to do before they die -- which is pretty silly if you think about it. Of course it is before you die. Who makes a list of things to do AFTER you die? Anyway there are also certain things we all hope to avoid. So far I have avoided having my car towed, but that ended Saturday. I had misunderstood the parking directions and when I came out my car was long gone.

A few weeks ago there was an article in the paper about towing in Seattle. I didn't read it but it was about how people get snared in this trap of not being able to get their car because of the exorbitant fees. I had no idea just how crazy until then though. Thankfully my friends live near the tow yard so they drove me there as I was on the phone trying to figure out how much and when I could get my car. Unbelievable as this sounds they were closed on the weekend and the answering service was paging the driver as we drove north.

The base fee is $300 just for picking up the car. Then as soon as they drive into the yard it is 1/2 day storage fee, PLUS an obscene "after hours" charge, tax ...... Oh, and cash only. Now you can see how people get trapped. I was SO angry. What a racket!! It took 3 hours from the time I found my car gone until I made it home.

I am going to look up that article today. Something should be done about this. I know that it was my mistake and the tenant had a right to have me towed. But the excessive fees! It is outrageous.

So I was just fuming all night and I had to get up early Sunday morning to pick up things for the meeting. By the time we were done the sun was out and I had a busy afternoon with chores. I didn't get around to cleaning my closet. I was still so mad about the towing that I treated myself and started a new project. I got my cardigan nearly done Saturday. I just have to sew in the sleeves and do the edging, so it is okay to start a new project. I made a good start.

Last night about 10:30 some drunk idiot tried to drive his truck through the hedge right outside my bedroom window! His truck got high centered and had to be towed. A theme. That noise went on until after midnight. Crazy.

I have been enjoying the audiobooks of the Shardlake series but I am now on the last part of the last book. I will be sorry to finish. On my next trip to London I really want to set time aside to look up some of the historical places I have been reading about. I meant to do that last November but somehow time just slipped away. As it does.

But it is not slipping away now. I have been here 40 minutes. It is slow going. And not the best of company either. But worth it. Soon I will be able to get a new passport!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: