28 June, 2012

Just a few hours to go

I know it shouldn't be surprising because it's about the amount of time gone, not the distance gone, nevertheless I continue to be surprised that it takes me as long (an entire evening) to get packed and ready for a trip to Europe as it does for a trip to California.  The laundry and the trying on of outfits and the packing - there goes most of an evening.  Don't think I'm not envious of those people - men mostly - who can toss a few things into a duffel or a change of socks and underwear and a clean shirt into a briefcase and be ready.  Although I suppose that even those types have to take more time if they're going to be gone a week or more, just like me. 

While the laundry was going I multitask-ed and finished up the last little bit of edging around the Elsie cardigan (darling!) and after I was all done, I settled down with a glass of wine and did the last two rows of the Aristida shawl/scarf and bound off.  Oh, it is going to be awesome!  I couldn't take the time to block it, mostly because if I had pinned it out on the floor Tink would be using it for a bed by the time I returned.  I am just very proud that I got not one but two projects finished.  I will take pictures when I get them blocked.  That cardigan is just the cutest thing ever.  I am not unhappy any more about forgetting about the button holes because the edging is scalloped and it would be perfect to use as button holes should I decide to put buttons on it.  One of the knitting ladies yesterday was suggesting little pearl buttons and I agree that would be perfect.

I don't have much to get done this morning at work, but I am here to tie up a few loose ends and not waste a vacation day.  I need to hoard every last one for this fall.  It looks like I can have a week and a half in Europe in late November and still have a Christmas week with my sister if nothing comes up between now and then.  Perfect!

It is going to be hot hot hot this coming week.  It's blazing hot at the Grand Canyon, although it gets quite chilly at night.  Flagstaff is hot, but not anything like Phoenix, which I find unbearable.  I mean ... 111 degrees?  Hideous.  We will fly into Phoenix tomorrow but not go outsides.  And Sherman Oaks, where my sister lives, is in the 80s.  I can't wait for that sunshine!  It is getting nicer around here, of course.  I hope it sticks around.  I need to have a good weekend for our golf tournament and dinner coming up in August.  Looks like I am going to be playing golf after all so that means I'm going to have to start practicing when I get back.

I also need to get back in contact with Gregg so we can set our song list for the July gig.  I am so looking forward to that!  I hope we can get a better recording than last time.  I didn't even bother posting it because it was recorded on his wife's phone or something like that and was all distorted.  Next time I will get the name of the guy who does the good recording.

No comments: