27 June, 2012

How being tidy is sometimes not the right thing

I don't care for clutter.  Not in my purse, not in my email folders.  I like things tidy. And so to that end, in Portland I cleaned out my purse of odd bits of paper and tossed my rail itinerary.  Last night I was tidying up my email in box and, not needing the Amtrak itinerary any more, put that in the trash folder.  Then this morning as I am reviewing things I need to take care of before I leave tomorrow I realize my mistake.  I can't get reimbursed without that itinerary.  I searched my mailbox hoping I had stored it somewhere to no avail.  Then I called Amtrak and lo and behold, they can find it by credit card number (since I of course did not have the reservation number) and they are going to re-send it.  Disaster averted.  I mean ... you know how it is when you run afoul of the ladies in finance.  They are very strict.

My ride home yesterday was at least on time and did not break down.  Coming down I found the car to be small and we were packed tightly like on a plane.  I didn't like it.  American trains are not nearly so nice as European trains.  I checked with the ticket desk when I arrived at the train station yesterday morning to see what it could cost to upgrade to Business Class where the seats are spaced further apart and are much comfier.  The man behind the counter quoted me a price that, even in my current financial situation, was very reasonable and do-able.  Then he said, "Oh it's not worth it.  Coach is not full today".  So let me ask you all now - what would you think if someone said that to you?  That coach class was perhaps not full?  That there would be an empty seat beside you?  That's what I assumed too.  He was oh so wrong.  There wasn't an empty seat in my entire car.  Thank goodness I had my audiobook.  There was a woman behind me who did not shut up the entire ride, a stinky woman next to me, a snoring guy across the way.  The good news is that I had 3 1/2 hours of uninterrupted knitting time and I got SO much done on the Aristida.  In fact, I did another couple of rows last night and now I am two rows from being done!  Amazing.  I won't get it blocked but I should be able to finish the knitting.

I arrived home to find my apartment in a mess.  The house sitter had forgotten I was getting home.  Now I know what my place is like while I am gone.  I am not impressed with her housekeeping skills.  She got her stuff cleaned up and out while I was walking Tink.  Then I had a much deserved quiet night.  Tonight it's going to be busy getting my laundry done and getting re-packed for my trip Thursday.  It shouldn't be much of a chore.  I think I know what I'm going to bring - or close enough - and all my toiletries are already packed.

So - here's the really good news.  My hives are all but gone!  I was even able to take a reasonably hot shower last night, after a week or more of cool to cold showers.  Funny thing.  I was talking to my sister and she was telling me another friend of hers had the same thing!  I don't even know of anyone who has had hives so that was pretty surprising.  I was sure suffering there for a few days. There are still a few on my back that itch, but otherwise I'm good.  I think the combination of the antihistamines, which I will continue to take for a few more weeks, and getting away from this environment did the trick.  I didn't wake up with any more this morning so hopefully they will be all done and NEVER come back!

No comments: