17 December, 2012

Chaos

Oh what a weekend.  I am exhausted!  But I'm moved in, and that's all that counts.  The weather was, as predicted, wet but at least it wasn't pouring.  It was raining hard a lot of the time though, which made things all that much more unpleasant.  I had 5 men and a woman plus myself, and two trucks, a trailer and a station wagon.  With all of the purging I had done I was thinking one load, maybe another small-ish one.  Hah!  Two full loads and a third small one.  Unbelievable how much stuff was packed into that apartment.  Which seemed even smaller than I had remembered.  We got it all loaded up and had something to eat (the BEST hamburgers I've had in ages!) by 3.  Then I had to clean up the little things and vacuum and turn in my keys at the old place.  And then back to my new place where I got a gorgeous bouquet of flowers!  Just what I needed to keep me smiling. 

Tink had been very good all day and so I had to take her for a nice walk before I started to dig into the boxes.  I had cleaned out my fridge last thing at the old place and I had two boxes of food, one of them frozen, to get into the refrigerator.  Unfortunately the entire floor of the kitchen and the counters was stacked with boxes.  It was a puzzle shifting things around and unloading what I could to make room so I could open the (small) fridge.  I worked and worked and worked and then wanted to take some recycle out to the recycle room but I couldn't get into it.  I found out the next day I was trying to get into the wrong room.  I fell into bed without having found my clothes.  Not my hanging ones - they have taken up the ENTIRE closet, but my socks and underwear.  I had to put on my same clothes yesterday because I still couldn't find the box.  Of course, it was one of the last ones I found.

By five o'clock yesterday I had all of the boxes unpacked and I came to realize, as I was putting things away, that I hadn't gotten rid of enough stuff.  As I was putting dishes away I was throwing almost as many away.  Seriously - do I need place settings for 12.  No, I do not.  I picked my favorite colors of the fiesta ware and the rest - bye bye.  While the floor space in this new kitchen is twice as large as the old place, the cupboard space is not, nor is the fridge.  But I will make do.  As I was putting away the silverware and utensils, I made a discovery - there were no utensils.  Now I am one of those people who always goes twice around a hotel room to make sure I haven't left anything but I did not do that at the apartment and found that I had forgotten the entire drawer of utensils and all of the baking sheets.  Oh well -- at least I didn't own any really expensive knives.

I had to get rid of my comfy chair and ottoman.  There is no way I could fit that into my new place and have a speck of room for anything else.  So I put it on Craigslist for free and it was gone by 7:30 last night.  Now tonight I have to throw away even more clothes and shoes.   I thought I had been thorough but I need more room.  And in my bedroom I have to get a different dresser, because I can't open the bottom drawers.  Also I can't have the wall unit in there so that's going to have to go as well.  But it can wait until I get back from California.  I have plenty of fiddling around to do this week and I can get those things out of there last.

So - do I love my new place even though it's chaotic right now?  Yes indeed.  It is an awesome little village.  So far I've eaten at the Thai restaurant and that's outstanding.  And the burger place is equally outstanding.  The creek walk is gorgeous and full of beautiful art.  The transit center is a 3 minute walk - not a fast walk - from my apartment.  It is clean and quiet - I couldn't hear any traffic.  I am going to be very happy there.  Now I need to make it through this week so I can go to California for Christmas a rest.  I know I will want to keep fine tuning every evening.  I want it to be perfect, but it's going to take a few weeks.  But I am happy happy happy!

No comments: