31 December, 2012

The consequences of loving to travel

That's what I'm suffering today.  Even though it's New Year's Eve and typically I take this day off with my Christmas holiday, today I am here at work.  It is dead quiet.  The sole reason I'm here is that for the first time I can remember I have used all my vacation time before the end of the year.  Oh I get close always, but this year there wasn't a drop left in the bucket, so to speak.  The good news is that we'll be closing up early, so I'll have time to get home and get ready for the party I'm attending tonight.  It's not dressy, which is good news.

I couldn't seem to catch up on my sleep while in California.  On alternate nights my sister and I would stay up late - late as in 4 am.  And then the next day sleep the morning away.   She had to go in to work the day after Christmas and I stayed home and got lots of good knitting done on the lace blouse.  That was the first knitting I had done for ages and ages and it was wonderful.  It is going to be quite the garment.  Since it's being done with an angora blend yarn, the fuzz factor is huge.  I have no idea what I'll wear it with, but hopefully I can find something that won't attract too much fuzz.

The weather was quite chilly for what I am used to when I visit, but I didn't mind too much.  It was an excuse (reason) to keep a fire burning which made it quite festive.  And during the days it was mostly sunny.  We got out for a day in Chinatown and Little Tokyo.  Did a little shopping (big surprise), although because of my current lack of closet space, I only purchased an accessory. 

I didn't get home until late Saturday night and yesterday was spent watching football -- the Seahawks are in the playoffs!  I will be getting the Christmas tree out of my teensie living room on Tuesday, then I'll hang the pictures.  I spent a little time yesterday deciding where I wanted them to go.  I still love my new apartment and I will love it even more when I get rid of the two wall units and my dresser.  I have chosen a glass TV wall unit that will open up that space a little more and for the bedroom a white chest for my clothes and a small glass shelf unit for my yarn and needles.  Hopefully I can get those in the next week or so.  And I have a friend to store a few more things out of my hall closet to open up a bit of wiggle room there so I don't have to curse the laundry basket when I try to open the doors for the washer and dryer.  And ... horror ... I must purchase a mop.  My other apartment, while full of storage, had very small bathrooms and kitchen and I could, and did, wash the floors on my hands and knees with a spray bottle of cleaner and paper towels.  Really small.  This place has much larger kitchen and bathroom floors that are going to require mopping.  So it's not there yet, but still it's very comfortable.

I must wake up.  Time for a second cup of tea.  Happy New Year!

No comments: