13 November, 2013

The great cuticle debate

Because my weekends have been so busy lately, I've taken to getting my manicures on Friday after work.  My regular salon has opened another place walking distance from my apartment, so it's quite convenient and then that chore is out of the way.  The owner of the salon, Jenny, knows my idiosyncrasies and lets her technicians know that I don't like to have my cuticles cut.  In fact, it's not necessary at all unless you have a hang nail.  But they tend to do it automatically and it hurts, since they actually rip at them rather than cut, so I always tell whoever is doing my manicure to just push them back.  Well, Jenny doesn't work at the new salon on Friday evenings.  Her husband is there to supervise.  So last Friday I went in and told the woman to just push the cuticles back.  She argued that she had to cut them, and I said no, just if there is a piece on the side that is sticking out.  Okay, she says.  And then proceeds to cut the cuticle on top of my nail.  So again I had to tell her not to cut them.  At this point her boss spoke to her in her language and I am assuming he told her to listen to me and not cut the cuticles.  Then she starts complaining back to him and pouted the entire rest of the manicure, which was very uncomfortable for me.  I mean ... WFT?  I am the customer, and I tip well.  What is the big deal to NOT cut the cuticles?  When I got home I looked up some articles because I know I've read that it's not necessary and sure enough, I found tons of articles about it.  Not a single one said that it's a good thing.  So --- now what do I do?  I guess I need to go there some time when Jenny is working and give her the things I've read on it.  Her English is very good.  I doubt if I brought articles to the salon that the tech could get much out of it.  It really takes the fun and relaxation out of the experience if I'm fighting with the technicians.

I had a nice relaxing evening last night, doing nothing but cooking up a pot of yummy bean soup and watching stupid TV.  I needed that.  Today is noon knitting and I'm going to be able to finish off the Juneberry Triangle, I'm pretty sure.  Maybe I can block it tonight!  And then my next project, using the yarn from my latest YarnBox, is going to be Ombrellone.  I'm not crazy about the colors in the pattern picture, but I think my new yarn is going to be perfect for this.  I'll use the multi for the brown in this pattern and then finish up with the blue.  I am hoping I'll have enough blue to make the bottom lace bit larger.  I'll just go until I'm out of yarn.  This will be good TV knitting and then I can start back up with the Mariah at noon knitting.

I had an absolutely terrible run yesterday afternoon!  I was so looking forward to it because the sun had come out, so I even got out there a bit earlier than usual.  I remembered to take two puffs of my asthma inhaler, as usual, but for some reason I couldn't get my breath!  Maybe I started out a bit too fast, and when that happens I can usually just walk for a few yards until I can take a full breath and then start back out again.  It wasn't working for me yesterday so the entire 30 minutes was uncomfortable.  I never got the floating, endorphins are running through me feeling, which is what I live for.  Never mind.  Thursday will be good, I'm sure.

No comments: